Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Tacoma the low beam headlights dont work, but the

the low beam headlights don't work, but the high beams do on my 2005 toyota tacoma.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you today. The first thing we need to do here is check the fuses under the hood. DO you happen to have a 12 volt DC testlight? That is the best way to check fuses

Toyota Service :

We need to look at two fuses under the hood, in the fuse box. You want to check the following:

Toyota Service :

HEAD LO LH and HEAD LO RH

Toyota Service :

If you do not have a testlight, just locate the fuses and remove them. Look at them closely and verify that the small piece of silver metal is intact between the two legs of the fuse, inside the plastic

Customer:

i don't have a test light , but i can check the fuses

Toyota Service :

OK. Please check them for me.

Customer:

ok, brb

Customer:

fuses are intact

Toyota Service :

DO you have any means of measuring DC voltage? A volt-ohmmeter perhaps?

Customer:

no

Toyota Service :

Can you obtain a 12 volt DC testlight form your local auto parts store? In order to properly diagnose this, we need to check to see if you have power in certain areas.

Customer:

ok, i'll need a few minutes to go down the street and get one.

Toyota Service :

Excellent. You don't need to get a fancy one. A cheal 12 Volt DC light will be fine.

Toyota Service :

cheap sorry

Toyota Service :

After you get the light, connect the clip to one side of the battery, (Neg) and touch the pointed end to the other battery terminal (POS) , this is to verify the lightbulb in the tester works.

Toyota Service :

After you verify that the bulb in the testlight is working (we need to know that first, so you do not waste your time with a dead bulb; happens)..........Attach the clip of the light to the NEGATIVE battery terminal, turn the headlamps on, low beam, and touch the pointed end to the head LO LH and the head LO RH fuses, both sides of each fuse. Pls advise if the testlight illuminates

Toyota Service :

Leave the fuses where they belone; no need to remove them

Toyota Service :

belong sorry

Customer:

just checked the bulb in the tester and the rest of the chat was erased

Customer:

what is next?

Toyota Service :

Hook the clip to the Negative battery post. Turn the headlamps on, low beam. Check the Head LO RH and the Head LO RH fuses by touching the pointed end t othe metal on top of the fuses, both sides. No need to remove the fuses.

Customer:

nevermind, it's back

Customer:

ok, both sides of both head lo rh and lh light up

Toyota Service :

That eliminates a lot of work.

Customer:

good

Toyota Service :

Next, we need to look at power going to the headlamp belbs themselves. Please remove the wire connectors from both headlamp bulbs. We will be continuing this test with the headlamp lo beams on.

Toyota Service :

Remove the wire connectors, and check the Red with a Yellow tracer (on the LH headlight) and the Red with a Black tracer on the other side. Verify if the light illuminates or not.

Toyota Service :

After thsi test is performed, we will be checking the ground wires at each headlamp socket

Customer:

ok, there is power going to those wires

Toyota Service :

OK

Toyota Service :

Now. Remove the clip form the Negative battery post

Toyota Service :

Clip the clip to the Positive battery post

Customer:

ok

Toyota Service :

Touch the pointed end to the White with a Black tracer in both sockets, with the sockets unhooked form the bulbs

Toyota Service :

Advise if the light lights

Customer:

they both light up as well

Toyota Service :

Ok. We have tested the entire circuit. We have power where it needs to be, and we have grounds where they need to be.

Toyota Service :

You have two burned out headlamp bulbs.

Customer:

but i replaced them not too long ago, would something cause them to burn out so fast?

Toyota Service :

No shorts, no bad grounds, I am please to say.

Toyota Service :

Headlamp bulbs these days are pretty shabby when it comes to longevity. If you buy the "higher brilliance" (for lack of a better term), the light half-life is shortened pretty good.

Toyota Service :

The brighter the light, the less life it has. They burn up too fast.

Toyota Service :

Do you have any other questions fo rme today?

Customer:

so the 'cheaper' the bulb the longer the life?

Toyota Service :

The "Less Brilliant" have longer life, but you sacrifice illuminating the road.

Toyota Service :

I appreciated your patience with me today. SOme of my clients get in too much of a hurry when we do this, and they get frustrated. Thanks

Toyota Service :

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Customer:

of course i know this isn't a simple procedure, it just seems that i've replaced both bulb 2 times in the last 18 months.

Customer:

any other suggestions for longer bulb life?

Toyota Service :

That, to be honest, seems about normal these days.

Toyota Service :

No. Sorry. Unless your auto retailer can suggest "longer life bulbs". ....they might be addressing this issue.

Customer:

thank you for the help, i actually learned a lot today.

Customer:

nowadays nothing lasts like it should.

Toyota Service :

Thanks for choosing Just Answer for assistance today. Together, we solved your problem. Please chosse to Accept my assistance via clicking on the Accept button. That way, I get compensated for my advice to you (and the teaching!) Positive feedback and/or a Bonus would be Greatly Appreciated.

Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience: 30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner