Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1997 T100: that has an alarm system..jump start..corroded

Customer Question

We have a 1997 T100 truck that has an alarm system. It would not "turn over" and when my husband tried to "jump start" it, he noticed the terminals were corroded. He used soda and scraped the terminals clean and then rinsed the soda from ther terminal. When he then tried to boost the the battery, the alarm went off. He thought maybe the battery was bad, so he replaced the battery, but still can not start the car. We had the vehicle towed to a local repair shop where they checked the starter, put a new starter on, still will not turn over. I believe the mechanic spoke with Toyota about disarming the alarm. (We have been told by the dealership it was a factory installed, but Toyota Dist. says it's after market alarm). After replacing the starter, battery, still will not turn over. Mechanic thinks it may be the alarm system has the car locked down in "safe" mode. Not sure where to go from here. Someone says we need to have someone "trace" the wiring to see what the alarm has shut down. Any suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.

Toyota Service :

Personally, if the vehicle was in my shop, I would be "tracing", and removing the failed aftermarket alarm. The first step is to remove the lower panel under the steering column, and locate the wires that are interfaced with the wires on the ignition switch.

JACUSTOMER-enpww8qz- :

Is this something we can do or do we need to tow it somewhere else. The mechanic says he doesn't do anything with alarms?

Toyota Service :

Without knowing the type of system installed, or seeing the wiring, it is impossible to accuratly describe what one needs to do exactly.

Toyota Service :

I would do this:

Toyota Service :

Remove the lower part of the dash (the plactic above the driver knees

Toyota Service :

Locate theignition switch and its wiring connector

Toyota Service :

See if wires are soldered onto any of the wires.

Toyota Service :

If so, follow those wires until you see a black box of some type.

Toyota Service :

If mechanically inclined, remove all of the soldered-in wires, and tape up all the connections. In other words, remove the system entirely.

Toyota Service :

If you cannot operate a soldering gun, I would take it to someone who is qualified to work on electrical wiring

JACUSTOMER-enpww8qz- :

Do you think it is the alarm system that is keeping it from starting?

Toyota Service :

that is a 50% possibility.

Toyota Service :

The other 50% might just be a bad ignition switch. That can be checked with a 12 volt testlight

JACUSTOMER-enpww8qz- :

Is that the same thing as a starter?

Toyota Service :

the testlight? No

Toyota Service :

The ignition switch is connected to the back side of the cylinder that the key fits into

JACUSTOMER-enpww8qz- :

Is that not connected to the starter? I would have thought they would have checked that if they were looking at replacing the starter.

Toyota Service :

On the starter, there is a small wire. This wires is connected to the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is turend to Start, the small wire is energized, thusly allowing power to flow into the starter. If the ignition switch is bad, it will not energize this wire. If the alarm is stopping the electricty form getting to the starter form the switch, the starter will not spin. Some people forget this whilst changing starters. It is worth the effort to have the small wire checked for electricity. If there IS electricity, the starter may be bad, new or not

Toyota Service :

....But it sure does not sound like the alarm is the culprit here

Toyota Service :

DO you have any other questions for me today?

JACUSTOMER-enpww8qz- :

No I think that's it. Thanks. It sounds like the same thing we have already been told.

Toyota Service :

THanks for choosing Just Answer today. Please choose to Accept my assistance if you find that my advice is satisfactory.

Toyota Service :

Positive feedback would be greatly appreciated too

Toyota Service :

Thanks again. It was a pleasure assisting you

Toyota Service :

Oh...I see you have logged back in. Is there something else I can help you with whilst we are still connected?

Toyota Service :

Hello?

Toyota Service :

I will check back in shortly to see if you have input any other questions. Thanks