Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

2008 Yaris: the dashboard warning lights..squiggly..owners manual

Customer Question

I'm concerned about the dashboard warning lights on my 2008 Yaris. One is the maintenance required light and the other looks like an exclaimation point in parenthesis with a squiggly line underneath. I found the section in the owner's manual, but there's no specific explaination of what each symbol means. I this a simply "reset" problem, or do I have to take the car in for diagnostics. If so, what's a price estimate for engine diagnostics at the dealer?

Thanks!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

The maintenance light is pre-programmed to come on at intervals of every 5,000 miles. This is the light telling you it's time for an Oil Change. If you've recently had an oil change, it's possible the Tech did not reset the light. If not, have the oil changed and reset the light. The light should be reset after every oil change to keep the oil life monitor in sync with the oil change schedule. Use this procedure to rest the light:

Engine Oil Reset Procedure:

1. Turn the engine switch OFF with the trip meter A reading shown.
  2. Turn the engine switch to the ON position while holding down the ODO/TRIP button.
  3. Continue to press and hold the button until the trip meter displays 000000.

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue flashing.

graphic

The other light is the Low Tire Pressure warning light. Check the pressure in all of the tires and make sure they are correct. If the tire pressues are correct, then most commonly, this will be a fault Pressure Sensor. These sensors are inside the tire as part of the valve stem assembly. You will need to find a shop that has access to a scan-tool that can read these sensor's outputs to find the faulty one.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Engine Oil Reset Procedure:

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Tire Pressure Warning Light:

When the light comes on low tire inflation pressure is detected. Adjust tire pressure including the spare if it is equipped with a TPMS transmitter.

The light should go off within a few minutes after the tire pressure is adjusted.

Rotating tires may require the system to be initialized if the front and rear tires have different pressure specifications

Engine Oil Reset Procedure: