john
john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

2006 Toyota Corolla: the passenger airbag light is on..nothing wrong

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla and the passenger airbag light is on. John Harvey says there is nothing wrong and throwing no codes. I have had the car since May 2006 and this has never occurred. I have a Toyota warranty on the car and I feel like they are trying to wait till the warranty goes out. Is this a sensor since there are no codes?  I feel they are trying to put me off for 12,000 miles so the warranty will go out.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 3 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. If the light is on there is a problem...Take it to another toyota dealership.....

There are a number of reasons why your airbag light has come on or is flashing. We will cover a few explanations that may help you identify where the problem may have originated from. First and foremost if the airbag light is on or flashing, the SRS system is inactive. Therefore, if you get into an accident, the airbag/s will not deploy leaving you unprotected. As you read through the information below suggestions will be provided that may help you solve your airbag light problem.

Airbag Battery Backup Depleted

A common problem that signals an airbag warning light to turn on or flash, is that your cars battery might have drained recently and the airbag battery backup depleted. This will often correct itself once the battery charge is fully restored. However, depending on your vehicle, you may need a Scan-tool to remove the soft-code error that was written to the airbag control module. See Airbag Light Reset...

Airbag Clock Spring Needs Replacing

The airbag clock springs main function is to maintain continuity with the drivers airbag and the electrical wiring. It maintains continuity by coiling in and out as the steering wheel turns. After many years of use the thin circuit bands my become brittle or worn and cause the drivers airbag to have an intermittent connection. If this occurs a DTC or Soft-Code will be reported to the airbag control module and the airbag warning light will turn on or flash. This is a popular problem on older model vehicles. The only way to determine if your clock-spring is damaged is to have a repair shop diagnose your airbag warning light with a scan-tool. The scan-tool will provide the technician with a DTC code and advise him if the the clock-spring needs replacement.

Airbag Module Got Wet or Corroded

A common location for the airbag module in many vehicles is underneath the driver or passenger seat. Therefore, even in light water damaged vehicles the module will short-out or corrode after being exposed to moisture. A shorted module will immediately general a DTC airbag code and your airbag light will flash a warning. Water damaged modules should be replaced as they will often produce unexplained and continued errors.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
john, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field