Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Toyota yaris: check engine light..mechanics..the gas tank cool

Customer Question

I recently had my check engine light come on my toyota yaris 08 hatchback and i have been told by the mechanics that the reason is because some sort of fan that keeps the gas tank cool and stops it from expanding has stop working or has been intermittently working. they are telling me this is a 1300 repair. I cannot find information on the part online and i am curious as to what it really is and why it costs so much, please help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Did they happen to give you a "p-code" that went with this description?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No i am sorry they have not I have an outsourced warranty since the dealership warranty was up at 30,000 miles. If i call them back and ask for this code would they get all bent out of shape. I am just frustrated cause all reviews and the mechanic i took this car to all said it was a wonderful puchase. Is there any other information i can give you to help.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Ok. To correctly diagnose the actual problem, we'll need a "p-code". I guarentee that the mechanic has already gotten the p-code, as that's where we ALL start. These p-codes are the "diagnostic trouble codes" and tell you, with a degree of certanty, which part/sensor in which system has the fault. For me to best help you, we'll need that p-code. You can have these p-codes read for FREE (except in Cali) at any local "big chain" parts store, like AutoZone. Once you have these p-codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem, and then begin the repair process.

Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SO i think i am being lied to. I just called Midas and the mechanic who is taking care of my order has ordered the part but CLAIMS to not have the p-code and says that he will not have it until the part comes in. what a mess. As soon as i know you will know. I am in a position, like most where i have no extra time to run around to get my car fixed wherever. Midas was close to home so that is where i took it. Right now i am doubrting that decision.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just called and they claim to not have the p-code and will not recieve it until the part comes in today or tomorrow
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
I would DEFINTELY get a second opinion! There is NO WAY he "ordered a part" without a p-code to tell him which part! Impossible! No mechanic can "look" at the Check Engine light and say "Oh... it's this...". If any of us were THAT good, we certainly would be making a TON more money!! The diagnostic process is: checking the p-code, looking for Technical Service Bulletins and/or recalls and then looking at the diagnostic flow-chart for said p-code. THEN make the repair. If you can drop by an AutoZOne location, and get me that p-code, I can DEFINITELY help you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok as soon as class is out at 330 I will be heading to the nearest autozone is there znything specific I should ask them for or just the pcode for the part which I can't even name haha this is a nightmare I just bought this car this year and don't want this to destroy my opinion of toyota!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Simply go to AutoZone and tell them your Engine light is on, and you'd like the Free p-code scan. They will go out to your car in the parking lot, and give you a print-out that has the p-code and the description. Try not to take the AutoZone employee's diagnosis too seriously. They aren't required to hav eprevious automotive experience and/or any auto certifications.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am now at autozone and the p number for the part is p0455
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

ok. P0455 is "EVAP System Large Leak Detected". There are actually quite a few different things that can set this code (see chart below). Very commonly, however, this is a loose, missing or faulty Fuel Cap (even putting fuel in while the engine is running will set this code). Inspect the o-ring on the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or chips. Inspect the fuel filler neck for any dirt or debris that would keep the cap from sealing. If the cap checks ok, and you are sure it is good (those fuel caps they sell at AutoZone will NOT seal the system, so if the cap needs replacing, it needs to be as close to Toyota original as possible!) then you will next need to inspect the vacuum lines around the fuel tank and EVAP canister area. Look for any lines that have cracks, holes or loose/missing connections and inspect the canister itself for damage. If the visual inspection checks ok, the canister purge VSV will need to be tested for proper operation. If all this checks out, then the next best way to diagnose this, is to have the EVAP system "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system, and the "large leak" will reveal itself.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should I just cancel their order on this part then?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

I would. And find a different shop to give you a 2nd opinion! Why spend $1300 when you might only need a $20 fuel cap!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alright so here is my plan I am physically going to the shop to have them show me th part that is faulty because now he is being more straightforward telling me it is a valve and if I don't believe then I will pay the restock fee for the part to be returned and consult toyota dealership for my next move right now I am paying 450 and warranty is paying the rest but I need to physicall see what is going on also the man at autozone had me put some vaseline around the seal behind my gas cap and instructed me to drive it around a couple days I will keep you posted for sure and this has to be the most useful tool any car place has ever had! I am heading to class I will let you know later today
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Correct. Drive it for 50-75 miles. If the problem WAS the seal on the fuel cap, the light will turn itself off. If the shop now says its a "valve" it very well could be the Purge Valve, however, $1300 is not even CLOSE to the cost of the repair.