I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto mechanic

Toyota Prius Whats check hybrid system means, I cant get

Customer Question

Whats check hybrid system means, I can't get the ready light to come on, my aux battery is fully charged?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 5 years ago.

Hello....this is not the answer that you were waiting for (sorry) but it is a 2010 car and it is under warranty,you should tow it to the dealer.

What is happening is that the hight voltage batteries are also dead,there is only 1 or two dealers that charge those batteries ,all the others replace them(about 7500 dollars)The battery that you charged is only for the accessories ,to start the engine you need the other batteries.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I check to see if HV battery is dead. I know it is 201V dc, can I put a tester to it?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 5 years ago.

That is why i told you to tow the car to the dealer,first it sound like is going to be a expensive fix,but ,fortunately you are under warranty.

Second you need the oem scanner to work on this car,you need to find out what is the state of charge of this batteries.

They may be close to the right voltage, but no capacity.

Good luck.

Thnk you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Guess what,

I was able to get to a different screen on the display and battery was showing more than 50% charge. I noticed that my coolant is low in the inverter cooling bottle, I've added some coolant and on the second try got a READY light and the engine started running, I still though have the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM message displayed.

Expert:  I. Silva replied 5 years ago.

Good ,i am glad you got it started , now you can use the warranty and take it to the dealer and them scan it.

They are the only shop with scanner for hybrid.

Good luck.

Thank you.