Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2008 highlander: cr1632 battery, but still wont start...any thoughts

Customer Question

2008 highlander ltd, won't start due to smartkey battery dying. Replaced with CR1632 battery, but still won't start...any thoughts? Thanks! KJ
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Can you go out the the vehcile and perform a small test right now?

JACUSTOMER-tpqasc8l- :

Sorry, no. I am at work at not near my car.

Toyota Service :

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Toyota Service :

When you get to the car, please do the following:

Toyota Service :

Take the smart key, and hold it right above the start button. Make sure the smart key is touching the dash, right above the start button. THe biggest flat part right against the dash.

Toyota Service :

Hold the smart key on the dash, as described above, and push the start button. Please advise if the car starts.

Toyota Service :

Do you have a idea of when you will be able to try the procedure?

JACUSTOMER-tpqasc8l- :

OK, I will try that later today - around 6:00 PM Denver time.

JACUSTOMER-tpqasc8l- :

I had another question if you dont' mind - when I replaced the battery in both Smartkeys and reinserted the key, a red light flashed for several seconds. Is that normal, or is perhaps an indication that I replaced the battery incorrectly?

Toyota Service :

OK. I will check back in then and see how you make out. Note that cell phones, laptops, iPads, etc all "transmit", and, if the smart key is in their proximity, the smart key battery will lose its charge rapidly.

JACUSTOMER-tpqasc8l- :

That is good to know about battery life being affected by other devices.. The battery lasted 2-3/4 years so I don't have any major complaints about that!

Toyota Service :

Not sure about the blinking....sorry. When I change the batteries, I never paid attention.....

Toyota Service :

Have to look at that next time. Nothing comes to mind that it is a negative issue though

Toyota Service :

As long as the locks lock and unlock with the button, the battery is in correctly.

Toyota Service :

Do you have any further questions for me at this time?

JACUSTOMER-tpqasc8l- :

Thanks - I will check to see whether I can unlock the car with the button later today.

Toyota Service :

I will check back in around 6 PM Denver time. Talk to you then.

JACUSTOMER-tpqasc8l- : All set!!!! Many thanks!!!!
Toyota Service : Did the car start?
JACUSTOMER-tpqasc8l- : Indeed it did! I am embarrassed to tell you that I put the new Smartkey batteries in upside-down, which I'm sure was the problem. That must have been why there was a blinking red light on it when I reinserted the key. Thanks again!
Toyota Service : Thanks for choosing Just Answer. If you ever need my assistance in the future, please feel free to call upon me. I'll keep the flashing light in mind...Have a good night.