Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

2005 Prius: a dash warning light went..exclamation point

Customer Question

We have a 2005 Prius. My wife just called & said a dash warning light went on and the car acted strange.The dash symbols are a red triangle with an exclamation point within it. Also to the right of the triangle is an engine or transmition icon in yellow also with an exclamation point inside and to the right of that is VSC. She pulled off of the freeway and asked if she can drive it home so as to take it to a local Toyota dealer tomorrow ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs. If the car Prius drives well enough that she is safe and wont get run over or cause an accident then yes, she can drive it home or to the Dealer. Just make sure safety is key but other than that she can drive the car without damaging it further.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What do the lighted icons on the dash indicate ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I asked what the lighted icons on the dash of our 2005 Prius indicated.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 years ago.

Hello, you opted to re-list which opens the question to other experts, I'll try to explain what those light mean.

Anytime there is a malfunction of the engine management or hybrid control system the "red triangle" light will turn on, this is the master warning light, you also mentioned a yellow engine or transmission icon, this is the check engine light, it indicates a malfunction of the engine control system, usually this light causes the other lights to turn on as well and in most cases this is the root cause of the problem, when the check engine light is on the VSC system becomes disabled and the light is turned on, this is so by design.

The check engine light can be triggered by a number of malfunctions from an emission control system fault to an engine misfire or simply running out of fuel.

As far as safety is concerned: if the car is drivable in a normal manner and there is no loss of power or braking then the reason for the lights may be a minor fault that does not affect driveability and in that case the car can be driven to the nearest dealer or home.