Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2007 Toyota: instruction on how to replace a timing belt..cyl..Camry

Where is the best place on line to find instruction on how to replace a timing belt on a 2007 Toyota 4 cyl Camry?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, yours has a timing chain, not a belt, which means that unless it has stretched and is making noise, there is never a reason to replace it. There is no maintenance replacement for the chain.

If it has stretched and is rattling, then you will need to replace the chain and guides:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the timing chain and front cover components-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Drain the engine oil.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
    Hood
    Right-side front wheel
    Engine under covers
    Right-side fender apron seal
    Front exhaust pipe
    Engine moving control rod and bracket
    Right-side engine mounting stay and bracket
    Accessory drive belt
    Engine appearance cover
    Engine wire
    Alternator
    Power steering pump, leave the hoses connected
    Ignition coils
    Ventilation hoses
    Cylinder head cover

4. Turn the crankshaft pulley to set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC compression. Align the groove on the pulley with the timing mark -0- on the front cover.
  5. Remove the crankshaft pulley as follows:
    1. TMC made: Use Special Tool 09213-54015 to hold the pulley to loosen the bolt. Use Special Tool 09950-50013 to remove the bolt and pulley.
    2. TMMK made: Use Special Tool 09960-10010 to hold the pulley to remove the bolt. Use Special Tool 09950-40011 to remove the crankshaft pulley

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the crankshaft pulley-TMC-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the crankshaft pulley-TMMK-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

6. Remove or disconnect the following:

Crankshaft position sensor
    Lower oil pan
    No. 1 chain tensioner
    Accessory drive belt tensioner

7. Support the engine with a suitable engine lifting device.
  8. Remove or disconnect the following:

Engine mounting insulators
    Right-side engine mounting bracket
    Stud bolt for the accessory drive belt tensioner from the block
    Front cover mounting bolts and nuts
    Front cover
    Crankshaft position sensor plate
    Timing chain tensioner slipper
    Timing chain vibration damper
    Timing chain
    Crankshaft timing sprocket

9. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise by 90°, and align an adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket with the groove of the oil pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the adjusting hole of the oil pump drive sprocket with the oil pump groove-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Insert a bar to lock the sprocket in position-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

10. Put a bar in the adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket to temporarily lock the sprocket in position. Remove the nut.
  11. Remove the bolt, chain tensioner and spring.
  12. Remove the chain tensioner, oil pump sprocket and No. 2 timing chain.

To install:

1. Set the crankshaft key into the left horizontal position. Turn the cutout of the drive shaft to the top.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the crankshaft key and drive shaft cutout as shown for installation-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

2. Align the yellow colored links with the timing marks of the sprocket as shown in the illustration.
  3. Insert the sprockets with chain to the crankshaft and oil pump shaft.
  4. Temporarily tighten the oil pump driven sprocket with the nut.
  5. Insert the damper spring into the adjusting hole, and install the chain tensioner plate with the nut. Tighten to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
  6. Align the adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket with the groove of the oil pump.
  7. Put a bar in the adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket to temporarily lock the sprocket in position. Tighten the nut to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
  8. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise by 90°, and align the crankshaft key to the top.
  9. Install the timing chain vibration damper. Tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
  10. Align the timing marks of the camshaft timing sprockets and bearing caps.
  11. Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft and set the set key on the crankshaft upward.
  12. Align the gold or orange colored link with the timing mark of the crankshaft timing sprocket.
  13. Using Special Tool 09309-37010, tap in the sprocket.
  14. Align the gold or yellow colored links with the timing marks of the camshaft timing gear and camshaft timing sprocket. Install the chain.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the marks of the sprockets and bearing caps to set the No. 1 cylinder at TDC-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Set the crankshaft set key facing upward-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the marked link of the timing chain with crankshaft sprocket timing mark-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Tap the crankshaft sprocket in with Special Tool 09309-37010-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the marked links of the timing chain with the camshaft sprockets during installation-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

15. Install the timing chain tensioner slipper. Tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
  16. Install the crankshaft position sensor plate. The -F- mark faces forward.
  17. Clean any old gasket material from the mating surfaces of the front cover, cylinder head and block.
  18. Apply a continuous bead of sealant to the front cover mating surface either 0.10 in. (2.5 mm) or 0.12-0.16 (3-4 mm) in diameter as indicated in the illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Apply sealant to the front cover mating surface as shown-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

19. Install the front cover and tighten as follows:
    1. Bolt A and nuts: 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
    2. Bolts B: 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
    3. Bolts C: 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Bolt and nut identification for the front cover-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

20. Install or connect the following:

Stud bolt for the accessory drive belt. Tighten to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
    Accessory drive belt tensioner. Tighten to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
    Right-hand engine mounting bracket. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
    Engine mounting insulator. Tighten top bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) and bottom bolts to 64 ft. lbs. (87 Nm).
    Lower oil pan. Tighten bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
    Timing chain tensioner
    Crankshaft position sensor. Tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

21. Align the crankshaft pulley key set with the key groove of the pulley, and side on the pulley. Using the Special Tool previous used to remove, tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm).
  22. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise and disconnect the plunger knock pin from the hook.
  23. Turn the crankshaft clockwise and check that the slipper is pushed by the plunger.
  24. The remainder of the installation is the reverse order of removal.
  25. Refill the engine with oil to the correct level.
  26. Start the engine and check for leaks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband just informed me I messed up big time. He's looking for info on a SERPENTINE BELT, not the timing belt. (#1 reasons why husband should learn how to use a computer :) )

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, here you go:

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

first you requested the timing belt and then corrected to the serpentine belt. I provided both sets of directions. Was there something else, or something in the directions you dont understand?