Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

2002 highlander: I tried it and it turned over but did not start

2002 highlander will not start. My wife tried several times this morning with no luck. I tried it and it turned over but did not start on the first four or five tries. Then it was successful. After letting it run for a few minutes, I shut it off and tried several more times again. No luck.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! How many miles on it? Did it die while running the last time or just not want to start this morning? When was it last driven? Do you have a red security light on the dash and if so does this light blink or stay off when trying to start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mileage 137115. Drove 1900 miles last week to beach and back. Drove a few miles Mon and yesterday, no problem. Did not start this morning. Not sure what you mean by security light. Red oil and battery lights come on then go off when it turns over.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
95% of the v6 models have a securit system. On yours I believe the securt lightis on the knee bolster, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see it.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Ok....the key for your car, is it a flat metal key or does it have a rubber head with a very small dot on the top of the metal shaft near the key head? I'm asking these question because an immobilizer issue comes to mind. Also have you had the timing belt replaced on this vehicle already?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Flat metal key up to the usual Toyota black head, no dot. Have not changed the timing belt. However, if it may be a security issue, the battery in my key fob had died and my wife replaced it yesterday, if that matters.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Not if it's a factory security system it wouldn't make a difference. The remote has a toyota logo on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a spare key and have you tried it? Any possibility you flooded it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No spare here but we tried already with two different keys. I doubt it is flooded.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Try disconncting the battery to reset everything. If you don't have a dot on thekey or a red security light then you don't have immobilizer on this. The mot likely issu at that point would be a stuck iac valve causing this in which case its going to have to be towed in.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified