Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Toyota Highlander I have a 02 Highlander with a 6 disk CD

Customer Question

I have a 02 Highlander with a 6 disk CD changer. I currently have 3 CDs loaded in the changer. It recently played the 3rd CD but when it was over and tried to change to the 1st CD the CD would not play. I got an Err 3 message. When I try to eject the CD the changer sounds like it is trying to eject it, but after about 30 sec I get the same Err 3 message. It also will not let me skip to the next CD. What do I need to do?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs.

Genchi Genbutsu :

The error 3 code is a bad code as it means the player has a mechanical malfunction. Is the Highlander with you now?

JACUSTOMER-0fhj1etm- :

yes

Genchi Genbutsu :

About the only thing you can try is to disconnect the battery (Negative side) for 1-2 minutes then reconnect and try to eject the CD's. The problem will happen again at some point because the system is having mechanical issues but this will help save the CD's.

JACUSTOMER-0fhj1etm- :

My husband is going to do that right now. I will let you know the results after he reconnects the battery.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Good hopefully the CD's will come out.

Genchi Genbutsu :

This is a sommon occurance on Toyota players with multiple CD's. Here is a quick discussion with 2 owners haveing the same issue...

Genchi Genbutsu :

Oh and even Lexus has these problems...

Genchi Genbutsu :

Are you still with me?

JACUSTOMER-0fhj1etm- :

yes. waiting for my husband to come back in the house with the results.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Ok , thanks! :)

JACUSTOMER-0fhj1etm- :

It didn't work. It still made the sound like it is trying to eject the CD.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Ok then the unit is stuck and will need to be replaced if you want to play CD's. The best option if you want to replace it is to either pick an aftermarket unit from a local stereo store or Best Buy. You can also keep the vehicle OEM Stock with a reman/used unit off Ebay like this....

JACUSTOMER-0fhj1etm- :

Thank you for your help, however, since this did not fix our problem we will not be able to "Accept" and will be requesting a refund.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Why?

Genchi Genbutsu :

You now know what the problem is and how to fix it-thats more than you came here with.

Genchi Genbutsu :

But feel free. :(

Please reply back if needed.

Genchi