Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Toyota replace crankshaft position sensor on 1995 Toyota Camry

replace crankshaft position sensor on 1995 Toyota Camry 5S-FE
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

it is located at front of engine on passenger side:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the right hand engine under cover.
  3. Remove the right side fender apron seal.
  4. Remove the sensor wiring retaining nuts.
  5. Remove the bolt and disconnect the crankshaft position sensor wiring, then withdraw the sensor.

To install:
  1. Install the sensor and secure with the bolt to 69 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
  2. Attach the engine wiring.
  3. Install the right hand fender apron seal.
  4. Install the right hand engine under cover.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Reset any electrical components such as the radio or clock.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I need to remove any of the belts? Do you by chance have pic of that portion of the engine that you could send ?

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

sorry, my mistake, i gave you info on the 3.0l camry. the 95 camry doesnt have one. the crank and cam sensors are integrated into the distributor housing and the distributor has to be replaced
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh,MAN! There is a small bolt head in the timing cover section that looks to be removable on this engine, which is the 5S-FE, and so far the manuals that I've looked at make no mention of the crankshaft position sensor or its location. My girlfriend found a little vid on youtube showing how to change it, but the Camry they worked on was a different year and I think it had a different engine, so maybe you can see my dilema.

Thank you for your time, I hope this info will shed more light on the subject, as we have already purchased a new CKS.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

the 96 and later have it next to the water pump and crank pulley:

Click image to see an enlarged view

depending upon production date, yours might have one. it would be located as shown in above diagram. if not there, then yours doesnt have a traditional one, but one that is part of the distributor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just went out and looked at it and you may be right , the production date was 09/94, and there doesn't seem to be any wires going into or toward the timing cover and there doesn't appear to a fender apron seal on the passenger side of the engine compartment, one consellation is that the distributor is easier to get to.

Come to think of it, I have been wondering why the things I've heard or seen haven't seemed to apply or agree(?) with what I have.

Would I have to pay more for information on changing out the distributor, as I been around some of that kind of thing (mostly on older vehicles, you remember, the ones without a'brain'), to know that I could really screw that up.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Here are directions. on payment, at this point, you have just put down a refundable deposit. it doesnt become a payment until you click the Accept button to finish the transaction. But there is no additional charge for the directions for replacing the distributor.

1. Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal.
  2. Remove the air cleaner hose. On the 5S-FE, disconnect the accelerator cable from the throttle linkage and the remove the air cleaner cap, resonator and the air cleaner hose.

1. Disconnect the wiring from the distributor.
  2. Label and disconnect the spark plug wires from the spark plugs. Leave the wires connected to the distributor cap.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Exploded view of the distributor assembly-1992-93 all, 1994-95 US and 1996 all 5S-FE engines

1. Mark the distributor flange in relation to the cylinder head. Loosen and remove the distributor hold-down bolt(s) and pull out the distributor assembly.
  2. Remove the O-ring from the distributor housing and discard.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Setting the No. 1 cylinder to TDC by positioning the intake camshaft slit-5S-FE engine

1. Before the distributor can be installed (especially in cases where the engine has been disturbed, cranked or dismantled), set the No. 1 piston at TDC by performing the following: with a socket wrench or equivalent, turn the crankshaft clockwise and position the slit in the intake camshaft as shown in the accompanying illustrations. Also the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley should be aligned with the 0 mark on the No. 1 timing belt cover indicator.

To install:
  1. Coat the new distributor housing O-ring with clean engine oil and install the O-ring.

1. Align the cut-out of the coupling with the line of the housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: Align the cutout of the coupling with the line on the housing-5S-FE engine

1. Insert the distributor into the cylinder head by aligning the center of the flange with the bolt hole in the cylinder head. Now align the flange with the match mark made previously on the cylinder head. Lightly tighten the hold-down bolts.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 17: Lightly tighten the hold-down bolts

1. Connect the spark plug wires to their respective spark plugs.
  2. Engage the distributor connectors and the air cleaner hose.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable. Reset any digital equipment such as radio memory and the clock if necessary.
  4. Connect a tachometer and timing light to the engine and adjust the ignition timing.
  5. Tighten the hold-down bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm) on 5S-FE engines
  6. Recheck the ignition timing.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions or need further help on this matter, feel free to ask any follow up question. Otherwise, you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their, time or services until you do so.

if you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button, however you are NOT charged again. Thank you.