JHoop
JHoop, Toyota Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner My brake lights (rear) went out on

My brake lights (rear) went out on my 2008 Tacoma Prerunner. #rd light on rear of cab still works. Fuses and brake light switch check out fine. My question is, do the rear lights on the rear of the bed get their feed from the multi-function switch, and is my problem more than likely in the MFS?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

The brake light switch sends 12v to the MFS when the brake is aplied. The MFS sends 12 to the 3rd brake light and the brake lights in seperate circuits. Replace the MFS to fix that problem.

If you have any more questions , please don't hesisitate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you are saying that the 12v feed from the brake pedal switch DOES go through the MFS? I Looked it up in AllData, but they dont seem to have the best info on this particular vehicle. In fact, they don't even have a good breakdown on how to R & R the MFS. I'm sure it can't be any more difficult than others I've done???
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Al you do is remove the dteering wheel and the upper and lower covers to get at the switch. Easy repair.
JHoop, Toyota Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner