Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.

1997 Toyota Camry: 2.2l..FE..The timing belt broke..highway

I have a 1997 Toyota Camry with a 4cylinder (2.2l) 5S-FE engine. The timing belt broke while driving on the highway and the car became inoperable..... My question is:- Can the timing belt be replaced without expensive repairs to the engine........ My Son-in-law says that the engine is a non-interference engine so there should be no damage to the engine..... Your thoughts please?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.On these engines you can loose a timing belt with out causing any engine damage (it is a non-interference engine, wont hit valves!) So yes, replace the timing belt,and timing idlers,and tensioner, and you will be fine!Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!