Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

2004 Tundra: 120,000 miles & the the overdrive will kick out..rev

I have a 2004 Tundra and it has under 120,000 miles & the the overdrive will kick out and the
yellow "ODO" light will come on causing the to rev up. Pushing the button on the gear changer
back to overdrive is only temporary fix as it will shift to "ODO" again on the fly. I feel that the problem is of an electrical nature & I would like to have the "ODO" option disabled so this will not happen again. Please advise.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 3 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

I expect the problem is that the engine is running too hot or the computer thinks the engine is running too hot.

Dj :

The sysem is designed to kick the transmission out of OD to protect the transmission and cool things down a bit.

Dj :

When this has happened, do you know where the temp gauge was on the dash?

Dj :

You could also have a problem with the transmission fluid temperature sensor or it's running too hot.

Dj :

The way I would start to diagnose this problem is with a scan tool that provides live data. Hook it up and drive the truck and see what the computer thinks is happening. Then verify what it sees. If it thinks the engine is hot, then check the actual coolant temperature. If the information matches, you have a radiator problem. If it doesn't match, you have a sensor problem.

Dj :

It's not practical to override the system. The truck would run like crap when it was cold.

Dj :

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dj :

Dj

JACUSTOMER-0kk943xw- :

My temperture gauge has always stayed medium. Even when I shift between park and reverse or from drive to reverse the "ODO" light will come on. Could there be a problem in my gear shifter or in the steering column?

Dj :

The overdrive cut switch is a grounding circuit. What this means is that when you push the button, it connects the wire to ground. So any cut in the insulation that allow the wire to contact any metal part on the car could cause the same symptoms.

Dj :

How technical are you? It's possible to disconnect the wire in order to test this theory but it requires some skills.

JACUSTOMER-0kk943xw- :

That is same thing as I thought. I will have my transmission serviced and inquire about to potential grounding problem. Thanks so much for your help.

Dj :

You are very welcome.

Dj :

Dj

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.