Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Toyota Avalon XLS Need directions on changing struts.... also

Need directions on changing struts....
also need labor time...

2002 Toyota Avalon 3.0
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

front or rear, or both?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here is for front struts. Labor time is 2hrs per strut on the front and 2.2hrs per strut on rear, not including alignment:

graphic

Removal & Installation

1. Remove the front wheel.
  2. Remove the nut and disconnect the front stabilizer link assembly from the shock absorber assembly. If the ball joint turns together with the nut, use a hexagon (6 mm) wrench to hold the stud.
  3. With ABS: Remove the bolt, disconnect the front flexible hose No. 1 and speed sensor.
  4. Without ABS: Remove the bolt, disconnect the front flexible hose.
  5. Remove the 2 bolts and nuts on the lower side of the shock absorber assembly
    NOTE
    When removing the bolt, stop the bolt from rotating and loosen the nut.

6. Remove the 3 nuts on the upper side of the shock absorber assembly
  7. Remove the front shock absorber with the coil
  8. Install 2 nuts and a bolt to the bracket at the lower side of the shock absorber assembly and secure it in a vise.
  9. Remove the front suspension support dust cover from the front suspension support sub-assembly.
  10. Using SST, compress the front coil spring.
  11. Using SST to hold the front coil spring seat upper remove the nut.
  12. Remove the front suspension support sub-assembly, front suspension support dust seal, front coil spring seat upper, front coil spring insulator upper, front coil spring, front spring bumper and front coil spring insulator lower.

To install:

1. Install the front coil spring insulator onto the shock absorber assembly front.
  2. Install the front spring bumper to the shock absorber piston rod.
  3. Using SST, compress the front coil spring.
    NOTE
    Do not use an impact wrench.

4. Install the front coil spring LH to the shock absorber assembly. Fit the lower end of the front coil spring into the gap of the spring lower seat.
  5. Install the front coil spring insulator upper as shown in the illustration.
  6. Install the front coil spring seat upper to the shock absorber assembly with the mark facing the outside of the vehicle.
  7. Install the front suspension support dust seal and front suspension support sub-assembly.
  8. Hold the front coil spring seat, install a new nut. Torque it to 35 ft.-lbs (47 Nm).
  9. Install the front suspension support dust cover.
  10. Apply MP grease No. 2 into the suspension support sub- assembly.
    CAUTION
    Do not touch grease on rubber surface of upper support.

11. Install the shock absorber with the 2 bolts.
  12. Install the 3 nuts to the upper side of front shock absorber with coil spring. Torque it to 29 ft.-lbs (39 Nm).
  13. Install the 2 bolts and nuts to the lower side of front shock absorber with coil spring. Torque it to 113 ft.-lbs (153 Nm).
    NOTE
    When installing bolt, stop the bolt from rotating and torque the nut.

14. With ABS: Install the front flexible hose and speed sensor with the bolt. Torque it to 21 ft.-lbs (29 Nm).
  15. Without ABS: Install the front flexible hose with the bolt. Torque it to 21 ft.-lbs (29 Nm).
  16. Install the front stabilizer link assembly with the nut. Torque it to 55 ft.-lbs (74 Nm). If the ball joint turns together with the nut, use a hexagon wrench (6 mm) to hold the stud.
  17. Inspect and adjust the wheel alignment

REAR STRUTS:
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable from the battery
    Rear seat cushion to access the strut towers

3. Support the axle beam with a jack.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Wheel
    With ABS, sensor wire from the strut
    Stabilizer bar

5. Loosen the fasteners securing the strut to the axle carrier. Do not remove the bolts at this time.
  6. Support the axle carrier with a jack.
  7. Remove or disconnect the following:
    CAUTION
    Do not loosen the center nut on the top of the strut piston.

Strut-to-strut tower nuts

Strut

8. To disassemble the strut:
    1. Place the strut assembly in a pipe vise or strut vise.
      NOTE
      Do not attempt to clamp the strut assembly in a flat jaw vise as this will result in damage to the strut tube.

2. Compress the spring until the upper suspension support is free of any spring tension. Do not over-compress the spring.
    3. Hold the upper support, then remove the nut on the end of the shock piston rod.
    4. Remove the support, coil spring, insulator, and bumper.

9. Inspect the strut as follows:
    1. Check the shock absorber by moving the piston shaft through its full range of travel. It should move smoothly and evenly throughout its entire travel without any trace of binding or notching.
    2. Use a small straightedge to check the piston shaft for any bending or deformation.
    3. Inspect the spring for any sign of deterioration or cracking. The waterproof coating on the coils should be intact to prevent rusting.

To install:

NOTE
Never reuse a self-locking nut. Always replace self-locking nuts and cotter pins as applicable.

1. Assemble the strut as follows:
    1. Loosely assemble all components onto the strut assembly. Be sure the spring end aligns with the hollow in the lower seat.
    2. Align the upper suspension support with the piston rod and install the support.
    3. Align the suspension support with the strut lower bracket. This assures the spring will be properly seated top and bottom.
    4. Compress the spring to expose the strut piston rod threads.
    5. Install a new strut piston nut and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
    6. Remove the spring compressor. Be sure the paint mark on the upper support faces the outside of the strut.

2. Place the strut on the vehicle and install the nuts to hold the strut to the strut tower. Tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
  3. Install or connect the following:

Strut to the axle carrier and install the bolt and nut. Do not tighten at this time
    Stabilizer link to the strut
    Wheel. Bounce the vehicle up and down to stabilize the suspension

4. With the vehicle weight on the suspension, tighten the bolt holding the strut to the axle carrier to 188 ft. lbs. (255 Nm).
  5. Install or connect the following:

Rear seat cushion
    Negative battery cable
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.