Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.

1984 Toyota pickup: 22RE..It runs rough, idles and cuts out

Hi, we have a 1984 Toyota pickup 22RE EFI. We've been having problems. It runs rough, idles and cuts out. There is a hose running out of the bottom of the fuel filter that doesn't appear to go anywhere, just hangs down about 18" in length, open ended. Should it attach somewhere?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Are you refering to the filter under the intake manafold? Have you checked to see if one of the cylinders are misfiring? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Cylinders are fine.

The hose ii question is under the filter by the firewall on the right side near the fender. It's like a canister with two hoses on top (one of those is from the fuel tank), and one single hose from the very bottom. This hose was not connected to anything and appears to be some kind of drain hose.

I believe I found the problem. The vehicle has been sitting for months. Driven very seldom. I got some STP water remover and injector cleaner and put it into the fuel tank. After a few minutes and some rough reving up, the engine smoothed out and seems to be running fine. I still have no idea what that hose is for on the bottom of the filter.

I can take a picture of it and send it to you!

That is the purge canister and the hose on the bottom is a drain hose, There is a fuel vapor line that goes to it from the tank and a small vac. hose that goes from the canister to the black vacumn,(plastic) port on the upper intake ,As far as the running Yes, it sounds like the injectors were sticking due to old fuel sitting in them! Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!