Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. 25 yrs experience

2006 Highlander: 4-cyl, engine and 2WD...automatic transmission

I'm doing the 60.000-mile maintenance on my 2006 Highlander, with 4-cyl, engine and 2WD. The Toyota maintenance guide says to check the oil in the front differential, as well as the automatic transmission fluid. I see neither a fill plug nor a drain plug on the differential. Is it lubricated by the auto trans fluid? Also, is it really necessary to check the valve clearances? I recall doing that on my 1986 Volvo wagon, with 200,000 miles on it, and they were all within spec (and had never been adjusted!). Thanks!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with your Toyota problem.

The front differential is part of the transmission and is lubricated by the transmission fluid. If you had the 4WD model, you would have a separate differential in the rear that would need to be serviced.

The valve lifters on this model are hydraulic and are self adjusting. No adjustments are needed.