Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Toyota Corolla CE What would cause a code PO172 engine code

What would cause a code PO172 engine code on a 2006 Toyota Corolla CE model?
On January29/11 the ecu and intake manifold gasket were replaced by the Toyota dealership.At the same time the maf sensor was replaced with an aftermarket one(BeckArnley).

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Ok, replace the plugs and the air filter. If the 172 comes back, it would be a problem with the Airflow Sensor. I'm pretty sure Beck Arnley has a year or more warranty so you shouldn't have to pay again for that part.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't you think the ports for the oxygen sensor would be plugged up since the sparkplugs were black and sooty (running rich)?

Hi!

No, that would have a different code. You are dealing with a defective airflow sensor and dirty plugs.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your excellent answers.

YOu are very welcome and thanks for responding to me as well. Have a happy 4TH!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Anthony,
Just a reminder, i have already 'ACCEPTED' your answer on July 4th @ 3.25pm est when you wished me 'Hava a happy 4th'.
I thank you again!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are quite welcome.