Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.

2006 scion tc: fuel pump..wont start, not firing at coils

Customer Question

I have a 2006 scion tc, new fuel pump and battery ok, car cranks but wont start, not firing at coils.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Ok, so you have good fuel pressure, but no spark to any of the coils, have you checked to see what the codes are,(if you have a scan tool) If not, Have you checked the fuses, like efi and ign fuses? Thanks,let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
check engine light on but reads no code, fuses are ok. was getting hard to start one day then it wouldnt run. has about 79000 miles and uses standard cut type key. has standard trans. only one coil sparks occasionally.

So you are saying that the check engine light is on but no codes (has the battery been disconnected or gone dead since this quit running?)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The battery was disconnected and replaced.

Do you have a good DVM so we can test the cam and crank sensors, if not then ,You will have to keep trying to crank over untill it sets a code for the sensor, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is a a DVM? Do I test the crank or cam sensor firts?
DVM is a multi meter, We need to test the crank sensor ohms,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does the camshaft sensor needs to be connected to check the ohms on the crankshaft sensor,I checked with alldata about checking the crankshaft sensor and it says if the crank sensor is not within specs to replace the camshaft sensor?
You need to disconnect the sensor (test each sensor with them disconnected) and read the ohms of the sensor( if you are checking for out-put from the crank sensor then you will have to disconnect the cam sensor), Are you sure that alldata is not refering to them beening out of sync.? Sorry, I haven't used alldata in many years, I use the factory sites, Thanks