Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.

1989 Toyota Camry: I change the water pump..lift

How do I change the water pump on my 1989 Toyota Camry? Do I need to lift the motor out?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 5 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.You will have to remove the mount in front of the timing belt cover (the engine will stay in place) Remove the 2 long bolts,and the short bracket strap, and the torque strap, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know if I can be of any other assistance!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Still havin trouble, mate, but thanx for the tips. What's the torque strap and is it visible before I remove the timing belt cover?

Some of these also have a mount on top of the timing cover that is shaped like a dog bone,its a torque strap, but if yours dont, then not an issue,Have you been able to remove the mount and brackets? This should allow room for cover to be removed, also remove alt. slide bracket,Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unable to remove mount due to a stripped bolt head... I'm thinkin to reshape it with a sharp grinder and try a smaller socket? Any easier ideas?
Yes, that what I would do also, and then even try using a american socket, (hate when this happens!) Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know!