Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1994 Toyota Camry: V6..timing belt..the timing marks where aligned

Question: I have a 1994 Toyota Camry V6 3.0. The timing belt came of and I am trying to install the new one.

What is the complete procedure for installing a timing belt if the belt has been removed before the timing marks where aligned?
Can the cam's be 180 out even though the timing marks are lined up? Does #1 cylinder need to be at the top of it's rotation with the crank timing marks lined up?

What I have done so far:

Determined that left side, rear cylinder bank cylinder is #1
That is the cylinder near firewall and at the front of engine.
Using the #1 cylinder rotated the crank clock wise till the timing marks at the top lined up(a little round circle on crank and a v shape on block 12 o'clock). #1 was not all the way at the top. Then I had to rotate the cam's to line up the timing marks at about 11 oclock.
Installed the timing belt so the white lines matched the white marks on the crank(about 1 o'clock) and the cams both at about 11 o'clock at the timing marks. Cranked engine with no cylinders firing.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

YES.. the number one cylinder should be at TDC when the camshaft sprocket marks are lined up correctly. You should be able to see this by the mark on the crankshaft pulley. It will be aligned with the mark on the block. ONce all of these marks are lined up correctly, the engine should be in time and should start and run. Just be sure that the timing belt is nice and tight before you start the engine up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I turn the crankshaft clockwise the #1 cylinder starts to move up to about half way to the top before starting to move down again. So the cylinder is moving up and the crankshaft marks align but the piston is not at the top of it's stroke. I was not able to get the piston to be at the top of stroke and have the crank marks align.
Does the piston have to be at the top of the stroke and the crank marks aligned?
Did I just not turn the crank enough rotations?
I did turn it thought about what I thought was 4 full rotations though all cylinders.
The other question is can the cams be 180 out and the marks still align?
NO... the cams cannot be out of time once they are lines up properly... unless the sprockets have turned on the camshafts.

The number one piston better be at TDC when the timing mark is lined up. If not, then the sprocket is not lined up correctly or you have a major mechanical issue going on inside your motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to make sure TDC is at the very top of the stoke?
YES! Top Dead Center
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok...I just looked it up on google they define it as TDC is the top of the stoke Just wanted to make sure because I sure couldn't get the piston to TDC and the crank mark to align
So I will try again and hope for the best Thanks
THanks for the accept!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!