Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2008 toyota tacoma: Cranks turns over then starts..dies..same thing

Customer Question

My 2008 toyota tacoma will not start? Cranks turns over then starts for brief moment then dies. Toyota thought it was immobolizer but the new one does the same thing. Not getting any codes fromobd sensor
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ya I understand, but the bazar thing is it turns over and starts for a brief moment then dies. Exactley at the same time everytime. Is there a reason I wouldnt be getting.any codes?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Chances are because it is due to the alarm system..

Does the engine continue to run with starting fluid?

Have you checked fuel pressure when this happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thought it was the alarm and installed a new immobilizer and had it programed. But when u try to start with a key that is not chipped it jus turns but wont start. If u use a chipped key it starts then dies shortley after. Like will start for about 1 to 2 seconds. Engine sounds like its cutting fuel and spark at that point. Is there a sensor that detects that the engine has started? And im not getting any codes that anything is wrong at all.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES.. the crankshaft position sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok still wont start.. im about to push it off a cliff... its giving me code B2799.. i have a new immobilizer and it has been sinked to keys and ecm.. i have checked the wires to make sure they are within the ohms there suposed to be at and no luck..
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

This is an immobilizer code..

Did you try another ignition key?