Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2008 camry: cyl..vsc light is on and I have no acceleration just idle

Customer Question

2008 camry 4 cyl. vsc light is on and I have no acceleration just idle. I dont want to pay just to have you tell me to take it to the dealer. I will pay if you have a fix that I can take care of. I thought something might need to be reset?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Is the check engine light also illuminated? Do you know of any codes that may be set in the computer or have you checked for them?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
check engine light is on. do not know any codes
What you're probably going to find is there is a codes set in the engine control computer. This in turn by default causes the vehicle skid control or VSC light to illuminate by default. Without knowing the specific code number that is set in the engine control computer is difficult to say for certain. If the vehicle does not accelerate is hard to get it to any nearby parts store were they do free engine code reads. If you do not have a scan tool or code reader we will have to go on the assumption based on your description that the ETCS fuse has blown. This is a 10 amp fuse located in the fuse box under the hood on the driver side. The fuses are identified inside the lid of the fuse box cover. What happens is carbon buildup around the drive by wire throttle body causes the throttle plate stick which overloads this circuit and pops this fuse. This in turn sets the check engine light and the computer controls the throttle at limp in or standby mode which causes very poor or no acceleration. Check it and replace this fuse to start with. If you can get the code numbers that would be great. I can continue to advise you on any other possibilities. Let me know how things go.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
which fuse do I check?
10 AMP ETCS fuse. This fuse is located in the fuse box under the hood on the driver side if you pop the lid off this fuse box it will identify the location of each fuse and have the specific ETCS name.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I check that fuse and it is ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I check that fuse and it is ok.

any other suggestions?

Can you get access to a code reader or even consider purchasing one? You can get a generic code reader for about $60 these days. With the engine computer code number I can probably save you some money or at least get you in the right direction. Dealerships charge between 100 and $200 for basic diagnostic services for this type of problem. Because this is a 2008 depending on your mileage basic electrical components are under warranty for three years and 36,000 miles. If there is a problem with a computer-controlled component or the engine control computer that is five years and 60,000 miles unless it falls underneath the emissions warranty. If you can get me the code number and post it back here I can assist you further.

Skyvisions