ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

2000 Corolla: alarm..The horn goes off when I..car wont start

Customer Question

How do I turn off the alarm on my 2000 Corolla (I didn't even know it HAD one!). The horn goes off when I open the door. The car won't start. Help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 5 years ago.

ToyotaTom :

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

ToyotaTom :

First question I must ask you, is there a blinking light on the dashboard?

ToyotaTom :

If so, does this blinking light push in like a button?

Customer:

Dunno. But I will find out shortly...

ToyotaTom :

If it will, then turn the key to the on position and as soon as you do, press and release the button

ToyotaTom :

(just tap it)

ToyotaTom :

The horn should stop sounding

ToyotaTom :

and allow you to start.

ToyotaTom :

If it is not a button, then you can look underneath the drivers side of the dash, and somewhere down there you will probably find a small black push button, or a silver toggle switch

Customer:

There is no light on the dash. There is a small red light under the dash near the hood latch.

ToyotaTom :

ok

ToyotaTom :

does this push in like a button? or is it mounted to a little box there?

ToyotaTom :

or does it just mount into the dash itself

Customer:

Its a small box

ToyotaTom :

ok, on the back side of that box is there a little push button?

Customer:

Apparently, there is no pushbutton (let me explain--we got the car three days ago and my husband is driving it and is now about 125 miles south of me, so I am conveying his info. He is NOT mechanically inclined)

ToyotaTom :

ok, I understand.

Customer:

Question: if he takes off the baqttery cables, and reattaches them, will it reset the system?

ToyotaTom :

We'll try this then. If he sticks his head up under the drivers side of the dash and looks up, how many wires go to that box, and is there a black and a gray one?

ToyotaTom :

Usually not, though it's worth a shot. Usually disconnecting the battery will result in the alarm going off as soon as you hook it back up

Customer:

Good to know.

Customer:

He says there is a black wire coming out of the red light (the light is NOT connected to the box) Wait! He found a small red button way in the back.

ToyotaTom :

ok

ToyotaTom :

now we're cooking with gas :)

ToyotaTom :

turn the key to the ON position (2nd click, just before it starts) and then tap that button within 3 seconds

ToyotaTom :

it should allow you to start the car then

Customer:

It worked! :^)

ToyotaTom :

great :)

Customer:

You are worth your $27 :^)))

ToyotaTom :

Since he is not mechanically inclined, my next recommendation would be to visit any local car stereo shop and have them remove the alarm

ToyotaTom :

Shouldn't cost more than 35 bucks or so, and prevent this from occuring in the future :)

Customer:

Excellent idea!

ToyotaTom :

The dealership could do it as well, but would cost a bit more (probably closer to 50-60)

Customer:

Do I just click "Accept" now and you get paid?

ToyotaTom :

just a difference in labor rates. It really only takes about 20 minutes, we charge a half hour labor to do this

ToyotaTom :

yes, that is it. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

Perhaps I'll do it myself (umm--I usually take care of the cars, though I haven't it nearly so much since I can't adjust the carburators anymore ;^)

ToyotaTom :

It's really quite easy. IF you remove that panel under the dash, you'll see all of the wires that obviously "don't belong" just remove them all and put the factory starter wire back together where they cut it.