Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

toyota camry: battery charged..alternator..starter checked..auto parts

I have a toyota camry 1999. The car does not keep the battery charged. We had the alternator and starter checked out by a auto parts place and that was not the problem. I have to keep getting the battery fully charged every other day summer and winter months.
help me please............!? I am tired of getting stuck and in not so great situations or areas.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer for your needs. Have you had a Parasitic Load test performed yet?

Genchi

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not sure what that is.? what would be done to preform this?

This test should have been performed already if you have had repeated battery draining. What this test does is measure how much amperage is being drawn from the battery when it is just sitting there like it does overnight. It should have no more than 150 milli amps of parasitic load.

(i.e. a Parasitic load is any load that is not supposed to be there, kinda like leaving the door open and the Dome light stays on.) That load can be measured and if the test shows more than 150 milli amps, then you can start pulling out fuses to see what circuit the load is on. When you pull the fuse with the load, the milli amp parasitic load will disappear.

Genchi

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so do i go and ask for my car to have the para load tested. could you not talk in mechanic voice pls...kindly break down what i need to do now.? also the dealer put a kill switch on the car will this be causing the issue..never really ran the car it sat alot .

I apologize for not being clearer. The kill switch would not cause this or be involved here. Also, yes, you should have the parasitic load test performed at a repair shop. The best place to finally get this fixed is the Dealer. They will usually charge for 1 hour ($75) to perform a parasitic load test as well as check the battery, charging system and all the wiring. This will at least give you an idea as to what is causing this problem.

Genchi

Experience: Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you genchi very much i really hope this works and they dont try to get over and/or charge me an arm and leg