Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

Toyota: overdrive..engaging..gear shift..no change in revs and they

I have a problem with the overdrive on Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0td 1997. It's not engaging although when the button on the gear shift is pressed light on dash comes on, but there's no change in revs and they remain high
What can it be
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Does the o/d off light blink when you are driving it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nop, it all looks perfect, but i dont feel as i did before, the overdrive engaging. i switch on and of, and it dosent do nothing, theres no change on the drive.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
ok, look on the throttle body, there is another cable attached to the throttle linkage that runs down to the transmission, this is the kickdown cable that runs to the throttle body that kicks the transmission from 4th to 3rd gear under heavy acceleration, be sure that this cable is not binding and holding the transmission out of overdrive. If this cable is good then the next step is going to be to have the transmission opened up to check for sticking valves inside the throttle body or internal transmission damage. No flashing light means that there is NOT an electrical issue here and the issue is mechanical.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok i understand, i was afraid that it was a electrical problem, but can u please explain me with more detail, where is that throttle body? is it the pedal? outside? sorry, im portuguese, and sum inglish terms cant understand well.
thank you

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
The throttle body is the part on the top of the engine that the throttle cables attach to. Follow the air fitler tube to the engine and it connects at the throttle body.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified