ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

Toyota: remote key..key fob..it wont lock and unlock the doors

I went to a Toyota dealer to have them check my remote key fob. It works fine. However, it won't lock and unlock the doors. They gave me instructions (EL00907). Tried it five times and it still doesn't work. Have a 2006 Solara convertable. Any ideas what I should do?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 3 years ago.

ToyotaTom :

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

ToyotaTom :

Have you tried replacing the battery in it?

ToyotaTom :

Seems kind of silly, but I have to start with the most obvious things, or they get missed

Customer:

yes. fresh battery in.....Toyota dealer checked the key fob with an instrument and said it is working fine.

ToyotaTom :

What kind of instrument? I don't know of any kind of device to check a remote...

ToyotaTom :

(and I am a dealership tech)

Customer:

A small box about 8 inches by 4 inches by 2 inches. It had LED lights in it. When he pushed the buttons on the key fob the lights cycled on as he pushed each button.

ToyotaTom :

I'll be honest, I've never seen one of these. I guess there's a possibility that something exists, however I've never seen or heard of it

ToyotaTom :

Let me ask you this... When you tried to reprogram the transmitter per the tsb they provided to you, did you get confirmation from the door locks cycling

ToyotaTom :

?

Customer:

No confirmation. Item #7 says turn the key from "lock" to "on and back to "lock"; 1 time for ADD mode, 2 times for REWRITE mode, 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode, 5 times for PROHIBITION mode. I did the rewrite mode.

ToyotaTom :

You want the add mode.

ToyotaTom :

If you got no confirmation, then it wasn't in any kind of mode

ToyotaTom :

you have to complete all of the steps quickly

Customer:

I'll go out and try it again using the ADD mode. I'll be back within 5 minutes.

ToyotaTom :

I've found that if not done fluidly one right after the other, it doesn't work. I'll give you a quick guide

ToyotaTom :

it's easier like this than reading that whole tsb

Customer:

OK. I'll read your method before I try it again.

ToyotaTom :

start with doors unlocked, drivers door open.
key in, out, in, out, close door, open, close, open, key in, out, door close, open, close, open, key in, door close, key on, off, remove key

ToyotaTom :

door locks will cycle

ToyotaTom :

then press both the lock and unlock button for one second, release, and then press lock for 1 second

ToyotaTom :

the door locks should cycle again

ToyotaTom :

following that tsb can be tough because the description can confuse, and delay things so that it won't work because you're reading everything and it just takes too long

ToyotaTom :

They say 20 seconds here, 40 seconds there, but I've never gotten that to work. I've only been able to make it work doing one step right after the other

Customer:

I'll give it a try. Be right back.

ToyotaTom :

ok

Customer:

Just tried your method. Still doesn't work. Could it be a fuse? Which one? Funny thing is it worked just fine for the last four years and suddenly quit yesterday.

ToyotaTom :

did the locks cycle when you did the last key on, off, remove key?

Customer:

No

ToyotaTom :

Then it still hasn't gone in to the programming mode

ToyotaTom :

Do you have the other remote for the car still?

ToyotaTom :

and does it work?

Customer:

I bought the car used from the dealer I went to tonight. When I bought the car they could only find one key and one remote. That's all I've had for the last four years.

Customer:

What is keeping it from going into the programming mode?

ToyotaTom :

ok. When you had the car at the dealership and they tested the remote, did they try and program it? (as you can see it only takes about 30 seconds)

Customer:

They told me it would cost $55.00 and suggested I try it myself.

ToyotaTom :

One of two things will keep it from going into programming mode. Either the process is not completed correctly to get it in to programming mode, or you have a bad receiver (brain box) for the keyless

Customer:

I was afraid of that. I would bet the brain box costs a million dollars! Is it something I could change myself?

ToyotaTom :

Just to verify, when you open and close the door, does the door ajar light in the dash come on?

Customer:

I'll go check. Stand by.

ToyotaTom :

ok

Customer:

It goes on when I open the door.

ToyotaTom :

ok that's good

Customer:

What next?

ToyotaTom :

just a second let me check something

Customer:

OK

ToyotaTom :

here's a list of all of the fuses that are involved with the wireless door lock circuit.
7.5A Dome
25 amp DOOR 1
10A ECU - B
10A ECU - IG
7.5A ECU - ACC

ToyotaTom :

The first 2 fuses will be in the fuse box under the hood

ToyotaTom :

The other 3 will be in the fuse box under the drivers side dash

Customer:

I'll go out and check them. Be back in a few minutes.

ToyotaTom :

ok

Customer:

found the fuses under the hood. 25 A is ok; there is no 7.5

ToyotaTom :

IS there one labeled DOME?

Customer:

Can't get to the fuses under the dash. How to I get to them?

ToyotaTom :

Ok, if you sit in the drivers seat, there is a panel that's right in front of your knees

ToyotaTom :

If you stick your head down and look up behind that panel, up near the wall side (not the center console side) you'll see the lid for the fuse box point straight down

Customer:

OK Just checked for a dome fuse. Nothing labeled as such on the fuse cover. There is a 5 A fuse however. I'll go back to check the inside fuses.

ToyotaTom :

if you open the door does the dome light come on?

ToyotaTom :

if so, then the dome fuse is fine

Customer:

Dome light comes on. Just found the under dash fuses. WOW there's 24 of them but no guide as to which one each is. What colors or position am I looking for?

ToyotaTom :

The lid should label each position of each fuse

Customer:

I'll go check

ToyotaTom :

I do have to say that I highly doubt it to be a fuse issue, or you would notice other stuff not working

Customer:

Got to the fuses. Pulled each one and looked at it under a bright light. All seem OK

ToyotaTom :

I really think you're probably fudging the sequence to be honest. I've only seen a few of the modules go bad in years of doing this

ToyotaTom :

It is tricky to to get the sequence in correctly

ToyotaTom :

but once you figure it out, that's all it takes and you remember it forever

Customer:

OK Let me give it another try. Are you sure I am using the ADD mode?

ToyotaTom :

yes. Add will add a remote.

ToyotaTom :

I've never used any of the other modes

Customer:

OK. Be right back.

ToyotaTom :

unless the custome has keys stolen or something

Customer:

I tried the sequence three more times. No luck. I'm sure I'm following your instructions correctly. I'm at a loss for what to do now.

ToyotaTom :

It's possible the receiver computer is bad. Definitely not common, but I have seen it before. In your car it is located way up behind the glove box.

ToyotaTom :

At this point, there isn't much else I can have you check without a scan tool to see the data as to what exactly is happening with the car

ToyotaTom :

Unfortunately, you may have to pay the half hour diag to figure out what has gone awry

Customer:

I just had another thought............the doors used to lock when we put the car in drive and unlocked when we put it in park. It stopped unlocking several years ago but still locks when we put it in drive. I wonder if this was some sign that it was going bad?

ToyotaTom :

no necessarily. This is a feature that is programmible with toyota's scan tool

ToyotaTom :

*not necessarily

Customer:

Looks like I pay the big bucks and go to the Toyota dealer..........or..........live with the doors not locking with a button. We've gotten so used to that feature that we really miss it.

ToyotaTom :

Usually it is either the battery that has gone bad, or the remote itself. Remember, that remote gets beat around, thrown around, and just plain abused in its everyday life. It's not uncommon for them to break eventually

ToyotaTom :

But either way it would have to be reprogrammed back in (which doesn't seem to be happening right now)

Customer:

So it's possible that the remote itself, even though Toyota says it's OK, needs to be replaced. Perhaps I can buy an aftermarket button and see if it programs into my car.

ToyotaTom :

Well, the problem I'm seeing from here is that you can't seem to get it in to programming mode to begin with. So if it's reprogramming this remote or programming a new remote, really is irrelevant

ToyotaTom :

I can't say if this is a programming option failure, or a component failure.

ToyotaTom :

I do know that it is difficult to get it to programming mode until you've done it about a hundred thousand times. Then it's second nature

ToyotaTom :

it may just need that 'special touch'

ToyotaTom :

but without seeing it personally, it's hard to condemn one or the other

Customer:

OK. Good tip. Looks like I go to Toyota. Thanks for you help. Doesn't look like there is anything more I can do. I'll keep trying the programming sequence tomorrow when I'm a little less irritated with the machine.

ToyotaTom :

lol I was going to recommend that as well

ToyotaTom :

I usually call it a beer break

ToyotaTom :

Sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away from it for a while, and come back a little less frustrated and fresh

ToyotaTom :

just remember to do everything in one long fluid sequence. don't hesitate or take long between steps

Customer:

Will do. If I have another question tomorrow, how can I get back to you?

ToyotaTom :

You should have a tab at the top of the screen that says "my questions"

ToyotaTom :

Once you log in to just answer, if you click on that tab it will bring up a list (in your case this one question)

ToyotaTom :

and you can just reply to this at any time

Customer:

Thanks again. Logging out.

ToyotaTom :

Good luck, and have a good night :)

Customer:

You too.

ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience: Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified