Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

2002 Toyota Tundra: pickup..Cab..the 4-wheel drive..engaged

I've got a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4-wheel drive pickup (4-Dr. with Access Cab). My problem seems to be related to the 4-wheel drive being partially engaged when driving the vehicle left or right from a standing start. I have had this problem for more than a year, but the problem varies from time to time (etc., sometimes the problem is hardly noticeable and other times really noticeable). I have more recently engaged the 4-wheel high and driven up to a mile or more trying to make sure the 4-wheel drive is at fault. It seems not. Maybe the problem is in the differential because when driving around in circles, both to the right and to the left and then straightening back up, the problem seems to be a little less noticeable.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Do you have the optional limited slip rear end?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I looked in the original manuel and do have limited slip rear end.
From what you describe here then it sounds like the limited slip is sticking and not a 4x4 or transmission issue on the truck. While we do see these units fail on these trucks this does not seem to be a complete failure on your truck yet. What I would recommend you have done here is to have the rear end fluid replaced with a synthetic gear oil and a limited slip additive put in as well and then put some mileage on the truck to retest.