Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

1995 Toyota Avalon: My engine light came..shift solenoid..dump

Customer Question

My engine light came on for my 1995 Toyota Avalon. I had it hooked up to a machine and it gave me the following code: PO773 "shift solenoid E Circuit Electrical". Is this a serious problem with my transmission and will it dump me if I don't get it fixed immediately? They shut the engine light off so I was going to see if while driving it comes on again and if so I'll bring it to the Toyota Dealer.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs. Have you had the Transmission serviced recently?

Customer:

Yes, about 1 month ago I had it refilled with 9 quarts of Transmission Fluid.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Good. The P0773 code is for Shift Solenoid E which is the torque convertor. How many miles are on this Avalon?

Customer:

There are 244,000 miles on my Toyota. I know it's a lot but they're all highway miles and I'm anal about keeping the car maintained to include oil changes, transmission fluid/filter changes, and everything else.

Genchi Genbutsu :

What happens here and what causes this code is that the torque convertor wears out. What happens is that the cars computer when it activates the Torque Convertor (w/ Shift solenoid E) it looks to the crankshaft sensor to see that it is engaged. With the torque convertor working there should be a 1 to 1 rotation because they are locked, When the torque convertor fails, it does see the 1 to 1 because it is slipping and sets the P0773 code.

Customer:

It sounds serious and expensive. Could it dump me if I don't fix it right away?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Somebody may tell you to just replace the Torque convertor but you will have to pull out the transmission to do so and remember that the transmission still has 244,000 miles on it. I would say to watch it till the light comes on again. If it does then just drive it till it really quites and then put a transmission in it.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Could it dump me if I don't fix it right away? Not likely.

Customer:

Thanks for your advice. I didn't expect the car to last forever. I WILL replace the transmission if necessary because the engine still runs perfect and it doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Good idea. These are very good cars.

Customer:

Okay, I'm very satisfied with your response. Thanks...I'm signing off!

Genchi Genbutsu :

My pleasure.

Customer:

Bye

Please reply back if needed.

Genchi