Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Toyota Camry LE 92 camry stopped running suddenly, wouldnt

92' camry stopped running suddenly, wouldn't start. tested ignition module at autozone and check good, found info on internet about supression capacitor and or condensor inside distibutor being bad, checked AM2 fuze it was blown. Replaced ditriutor+cap+rotor. started fine. drove 1500ft and died. no start, am2 fuze ok. now theres a check eng lite and rear lites out indicator and no start. what else is there to check or change?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
drove 1500ft and died. no start, am2 fuze ok. now theres a check eng lite and rear lites out indicator and no start.

Obviously I got compression and sprark and fuel presure for this to occur.

however with this combo of indicator lights i would think would be pointing towards an electrical problem.

is there a solenoid that I should test or check?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES.. you should see if the engine runs on starting fluid.

If so, then we will go after fuel. If not, then we will double check spark.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
on and injection engine where should the starting fluid be sprayed?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Open the air intake as if you were going to replace the air filter and spark the starting fluid toward the intake as someone cranks the engine over.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
engine starts without using starter fluid.
still have a check eng ligh and a rear lights out warning light
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. good!

So what is the code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it a 92' it doesn't have an obd2 plug
what do you suggest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
jumped e1 and te2. Eng lite flashes continuosly
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay!

Are you saying there are no codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have a compatible computer because I have a 92' camry with no obd2 diag plug. I do however have a plug labeled "diagnostics" in the eng compartment and based on semi-reliable info I jjumped the e1 and te2 pins, which are supposed to give a series of eng lite flashes that relate to a problem code. Can you help me with this or is the another trouble shooting method you can suggest?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You bet!

WHat size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
4cyl
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Excellent!

So the light just keeps flashing when you jumper these terminals.. correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
btw I had it idling for about 30 min and it shut off again
and yes continuous flashing
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Does it start right back up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, it just cranks.

btw I mentioned that have a rear light out warning light but my lights checked fine, the light showed up when this problem started. It only illuminates , along with the chk eng lite, when the key is in the acc position, then goes out when the engine cranks. Could this be any help?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Maybe...

Does the engine have spark? Does it run on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I let it sit for about an hour and during that time I made a few attempts to restart, none with s fluid tho and jus a minute ago it started. Would a fan relay or someting in the cooking system play into this equation?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no spark

will not start with starter fluid
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Does the ingition coil have power while cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the engine light is on when the key is in the on position

there doesn't seem to be power to the cool when cranking
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. this is what we are going to do.

First thing to do is check to see if the coil has power with the key in the on position. You can use a test light or a voltmeter.

Next step would be to see if its getting a ground signal trigger. This is done with a test light. But only you would hook it up backwards. Hook the alligator clip of the test light and hook it to battery positive, and take the tip of the test light and touch it the signal wire of the coil. (If you need a diagram let me know). The test light should blink when cranking over the engine if its getting a signal. If you use a conventional test light, it will flicker very very dim (so look closely) if the coil is getting a signal to fire the spark.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
got power when the key is on

no power or blink when testing signal wire.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
If you did it correctly, then the coil is not getting a signal from the module or igniter. If this is the case, then chances are your new distributor is bad.
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what about when it starts?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
This is just because you have an intermittent issue..