Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.

Toyota Tercel I am changing the fuel pump on a 1997 Toyota

Customer Question

I am changing the fuel pump on a 1997 Toyota Tercel. I removed the top banjo bolt with no problem. The bottom fitting bolt will not budge. Any ideas on how to get this bolt off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 5 years ago.
Are referring to the bottom threaded line fitting on the fuel filter? Or the fitting on the line to the fuel pump? Thanks let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The bottom threaded line fitting on the fuel filter.

This fitting requires the use of what is called a line wrench (14mm) This is a 6 point boxed type wrench with a small cut-out so it can be slid over line and onto the fitting nut. If you dont have one, you can use vise grips(be careful) not to over tighten the grips on the fitting or you will damage it. In some cases you will have to hold the filter with a pair of channel lock type pliers (to keep it from turning in its mounting bracket) then using line wrench or vise grips give the fitting a quick and hard push to break the fitting loose. ( note sometimes you may have to remove it from the mounting bracket and slightly tilt the filter sideways to apply more force to it. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This has been tried with both methods. First with a line wrench, and then with vise grips. Still with no positive results.
What happens is,Many of these tend to get a seized condition. And you will have to use a quick hard snapping force on the vise grips to break it loose making sure your turning it in the correct direction (remember it is upside down) Also in some cases it is a little easer to remove things that are in the way of you get more positive force to it. I have had a couple in the past that were so seized that I had to replace the fuel line,