ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

2004 Sequoia: alarm..It wont start and when the key..light flash

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Sequoia the alarm has been going off for 30secs several times per day for a couple of days. It won't start and when the key is turned to start the vehicle all the light flash. Any idea what the problem is?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 3 years ago.

ToyotaTom :

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

ToyotaTom :

This sounds like an aftermarket alarm, not a Toyota factory system. Do you know what kind, or at least waht brand of alarm is installed in the truck?

ToyotaTom :

Factory systems will crank over for ever, but not start. AFtermarket systems will prevent it from ever cranking the motor to begin with

Customer:

I do not know. I bought the vehicle new and have never had this happen before.

ToyotaTom :

What does the remote look like for the truck?

ToyotaTom :

and is there a blinking light on the dash somehwere when it is locked?

Customer:

I think she said there is a small security light that blinks. I am not sure what remote you are asking about.

ToyotaTom :

the remote on the keychain that locks and unlocks the doors, do you have those?

ToyotaTom :

where is this security light?

Customer:

small black fob with lock and unlock buttons and aother with a picture of the back door.

ToyotaTom :

does the fob say toyota on it?

Customer:

it has a toyota symbol on it. the engine light is the engine imobalizer/theft deterrent system indicator light . That blinks even when she is in the car with the doors unlocked

ToyotaTom :

or is there a little light on the fob that flashes when you press a button?

Customer:

no light on fob

ToyotaTom :

ok

ToyotaTom :

and the hazard lights flash when she turns the key and tries to start it?

Customer:

all the lights on the dash flash when she turns the key

ToyotaTom :

Below the steering wheel there is a panel that sits right in front of your knees when you're sitting in the drivers seat. Is there anything screwed into this panel that doesn't look like it belongs there?

Customer:

she is going down to check hold on a second

ToyotaTom :

Also, has she tried manually unlocking the door with the key? (might have to turn it twice so that it unlocks all doors)

Customer:

she says nothing looks out of place under the wheel and she just unlocked the doors with the key

ToyotaTom :

it doesn't turn over at all?

ToyotaTom :

like try to start but not actually start?

Customer:

no only the lights flash there is a clicking noise which is probably the engine

ToyotaTom :

how many miles are on the truck? And is it a bunch of fast clicks, or one single click

ToyotaTom :

and where does the clicking noise come from, under the dash, or under the hood

Customer:

93,000 miles bunch of fast clicks as long as key is being turned and she says it seems to be coming from under the hood

ToyotaTom :

She first needs to jump start the truck. A bunch of fast clicks from under the hood indicates a dead battery

Customer:

could the alarm be going off if the battery is bad I never have had the alarm go off when i have had other dead batteries is that something youhave seen? She says her dormmates say this goes off very intermittantly and lasts about 30 40 secs. Why would it stop and start and can it be disconnected tonight until she can get a garage to come out tomorrow?

ToyotaTom :

it's really hard to tell without seeing the vehicel in person, however low voltage (from a low battery) can do a LOT of very weird, strange things such as that

ToyotaTom :

Can she get a jump start?

ToyotaTom :

If she can get it jumped and let it run a while, or drive it around a while, it should charge the battery, and may be enough to stop the issues.

ToyotaTom :

Otherwise, she can lock it all up, disconnect the negative battery cable, and then close the hood and wait for someone tomorrow

ToyotaTom :

All she needs is a 10mm wrench or socket

Customer:

Probably not can the battery cables be diconnected tonight and would that stop the alarm from going off tonight you already answered the question. Thank you

ToyotaTom :

absolutely, this is what I would recommend at this point. And once she gets a good battery in there, it's likely the alarm problems will cure themselves

ToyotaTom :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

No thanks alot. I accept the fee of 18$ Thanks again

ToyotaTom :

You can simply click the green accept button. But if there is anything else I can help you with (even after you click the button) you are more than welcome to ask, and I will be happy to help you in any way that I can

ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience: Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified