Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Toyota Estima Hybrid hi there, originally on our Estima Hybrid,

Customer Question

hi there, originally on our Estima Hybrid, the VSC light illuminated together with the red engine attention light. The car still functions and the petrol engine is as reliable as ever.

Toyota dealer in Ireland (we live in Dublin) have advised that the Inverter has to be replaced, but also advise that they may have to replace the ECU as sometimes the ECU does not come back on line once the inverter has been repalced. Toyota UK dispute this for a simple Inverter change out.

Could you please advise how we can repair this problem?

yours faithfully,

Simon
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Do you have the code numbers that the dealer used to base the diagnosis from?

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The toyota dealer will (hopefully) have the codes, will you liaise with him to fix the problem?
Dealerships will not generally work with experts like myself. The best thing I can do is advise you based on the codes that they pulled from the system. All you need to do is ask them for a printout or detailed information of the malfunction codes set in both the engine control computer and the hybrid control computer. You are entitled to this information as a consumer.
<br/Customer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I'll ask for the codes you mention.

Toyota UK in Manchester reckon that the ECU should not need replacing if the car is shut down correctly. There is a suspicion from Toyota UK that the dealer here in Ireland is 'finding' extra work to charge me for.

If he gives me the codes and I pass them to you, what's the next step?
Once you get the code numbers simply reply back here with them and I can review the information and give you a professional input as to what would be your best course of action. The malfunction codes should have sub codes or information codes make sure you get that information also.
<br/Customer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you familiar with the Estima Hybrid?

Is the estima HV inverter and the way it interacts with the vehicle systems similar to the other toyota/lexus hybrid vehicles or do you just work off the toyota diagnostic codes?

The hybrid systems are all about the same. Minor differences but to diagnose you have to start with all the codes. If you have a VIN or specific model number I can cross reference the inverter to other models.

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, the VIN is AHR102000258

The inverter number is G9200-28011 unfortunately it does not cross to anything that is used here in the USA but the systems operate basically the same. The Estima is not used here in the USA but is comparable to the highlander system due to the engine size and using the 2AZ engine. Let me know if you can get the code info.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The local dealer has given me the part number for the HV Inverter part no: G9510-28010.

He also suggested that the ECU part no: 89890-28020 would also need replacing as when the vehicle has batteries removed, the ecu would not be able to be revived after installation of the replacement inverter, have you heard this issue with hybrids? Toyota UK think this dealers remedy sounds suspect.

Would Toyota US have any info, maybe for the Alphard.

Regards and thanks so far,

Simon

89890-28020 would also need replacing as when the vehicle has batteries removed, the ecu would not be able to be revived after installation of the replacement inverter, have you heard this issue with hybrids?

I have been fixing hybrids since they came out in the late 90s early 2000 and have never heard of this. Again I don't have any code numbers to base or verify what they're telling you but this definitely is a stretch on replacing the computer. I would even be suspicious of the inverter but need the code numbers. The number for the inverter is probably the latest number my information is slightly old because world market cars and information is harder to come by here in the US. For the other vehicle if you have the vehicle identification number I can check to see if it comes up with anything.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the VIN is AHR102000258

I should have codes tomorrow and then you could diagnose more precisely
Let me know when you have the numbers.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I now have the car and some codes back from the dealer;

Check for cause of warning light on dash
Found fault codes P3000 battery control system
P3006 Batteries levels are unusually different
C1310 HV system malfunction
Carried out diagnostic checks and found fault to HV battery
With all 3000 series codes there are sub codes or information codes. These information codes help to isolate the issue but based on the codes that you have especially the P 3006 code normally indicates an issue with the HV battery. Any time anyone of the modules individual voltage is unstable or grossly different from the rest of the modules it will cause the system to shut down. Unfortunately Toyota does not offer these individual modules in the hybrid battery separately. Toyota usually will take care of a lot of these hybrid battery even given the age with some assistance. It never hurts to ask for some assistance in replacing the battery. TheC1310 code is just a general communications code stating that the system has detected a hybrid control malfunction.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, i have only just received the info you require to answer my question.

pl

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here
please find attached the printout from the Toyota dealer, 3 more to follow...

Regards,

Simon

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

toyota printout 2 of 4...

...your system wont accept the other printouts, why dont you give me an emai address and then i can send you all th info you need to mke a correct diagnosis?

Regards and thanks for your patience,

Simon