Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

toyota celica: has a p0770 selenoid E malfunction

My toyota celica has a P0770 selenoid E malfunction. Which selenoid of the 4 is it?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Does the transmission appear to be shifting normally? If you erase the code does it come back immediately or doesn't take several days?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is shifting normally. Comes back immediately. The problem is on the last shift, it starts vibrating and when I accelarate it goes away.
Unfortunately this code 95% of the time indicates a problem in the actual lockup mechanism in the torque converter. Based on your description of the vibration or shutter in the last gear that goes away when you accelerate confirm that. There is a separate code for the electrical portion of the solenoid. It is extremely rare that the solenoid ever sticks closed or sticks open. All the solenoids and depending on which transmission you have there can be up to seven are internal. If you want the specific location of the solenoid for lockup I can look that up but I believe you would be wasting your time and money replacing the solenoid.