Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

Toyota Sienna I have a 2004 Sienna. When slip light indicator

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Sienna. When slip light indicator comes on, it reduces the vehicle speed, produces alarming sound and I have to apply the brake abruptly. This happens four times as I drove around the block. The vehicle is unsafe to drive if this keeps happening. What causes the slip indicator light to come ON?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. The slip indicator comes on when the ABS computer determines that a wheel is slipping. There are speed sensors at each wheel and the computer takes corrective action if it determines that a wheel is slipping. The response you are having is normal for a slippage condition. You are driving on dry pavement, correct? Has there been any recent work done to this vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I was driving on dry pavement. The most recent work done on the vehicle was complete brake job about 6 months ago at NTB.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the ABS or VSC lights on steady indicating the computer has set a code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't see the ABS or VCS ligths on steady. Only slip indicators light comes on.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
This means that the computer is taking action, and its processing, it os doing the right thing for the conditions it sees. What this means is that one of the speed sensors is malfunctioning. I have seen this before and it takes some pretty good diagnostic equipment such as a high end scan too or possibly an oscilloscope to pinpoint which sensor. Basically what happens is this, while driving, one of the wheel sensors outputs a reading different enough from the other 3 that the computer determines it needs to take corrective action. Before taking it in to be diagnosed, check each sensor and be sure they are not damaged, and are installed flush. The sensors are inside of each wheel and can easily be identified by the electrical wire going to them. Hate to tell you this, but unless you have access to some pretty good equipment, you probably will not be able to diagnose this at home.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You're right on, the mechanic found steering angle sensor out of calibration. It was my left wheel front tire going into ABS mode without applying brakes. A zero point calibration was performed to calibrate on steering sle sensor to correct it. I don't have the a diagnostic tester with CAN module kit to diagnose it. I found out this diagnostic tester cost around $2500 just for the tool. I took it to Toyota dealer for zero point clibration and cost less than $300.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
Great, glad to hear you got it going.