Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Expert,ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ yrs in the field. Self employed for 9 years. AUTOLAB radio show
10772012

How to replace the thermostat in a 96 toyota corolla

how to replace the thermostat in a 96 toyota corolla
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

Ivan :

Hello and good evening. Is your car a sedan or a wagon? Is it a 1.6 or 1.8 liter engine?

Ivan :

Your JA Expert,

Ivan :

Ivan

Customer:

sedan 1.6litres\

Customer:

sedan 1.6litre engine

Ivan :

Ok, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a picture that make the procedure pretty self explanatory. The housing is located under the distributor. Once removed, the thermostat is right there.

Full Size Image

Customer:

if my car is overheating and the coolant goes back into the overflow resovoir could that be the thermostat

Ivan :

It certainly could be and that is the first place to start. A restricted radiator can give you those issues too, but certainly start with the thermostat, it is relatively easy. Also make sure the cooling fans operate when it gets hot.

Customer:

if the car is overheating and u turn on the heat in the car should it blow cold or hot

Ivan :

It depends, it should initially be hot, but if the thermostat is stuck closed, you may never get heat and have the car start to overheat.

Customer:

that's the problem i'm having, does this make the engine make a loud sound

Ivan :

If it starts boiling inside the engine it could. Another possibility, since you mentioned loudness is possibly a faulty waterpump. If the bearings in the waterpump were failing, it could be loud

Customer:

ok, could u send me a diagram of the water pump for that make car

Ivan :

Sure, give me a moment

Ivan :

It is mounted behind the timing belt. The Timing belt has to be removed before the waterpump. however, you can grab the waterpump pulley and wiggle it. If it has any play, it is bad, if it does not, then it is not your problem.

Full Size Image

Ivan :

You actually can slip the pump out without actually removing the timing belt, but the engine mount and timing covers have to be removed

Customer:

ok thank u