Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

Toyota Corolla CE How do i open the trunk compartment in a

How do i open the trunk compartment in a 2004 Toyota Corolla Ce model? I have already tried opening it with the lever beside the driver's seat, the key and the remote key fob. Nothing works.The lever besides the driver's seat works only to open the gas cap cover but not the trunk hatch.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with you question. I'm Dj and I will work with you on this.

Dj :

When you pull the trunk release lever, does if feel like it's connected to something or just completely loose?

Dj :

If it's sloppy and completely loose, the cable is probably broken.

Dj :

If it's got some resistance, then the cable is probably stretched.

Dj :

You can use a pliers or vise grip to pull the cable itself and you may be able to open the trunk because you will be overcoming the stretched cable.

Dj :

Also, is there any chance the car has a fold down back seat that will allow you access to the trunk?

Dj :

Try pulling on the cable itself, this works about 90% of the time and let me know. We'll go from there.

Dj :

Dj

Customer:

When turning the key manually i can feel some resistance and the key continues to turn to unlock the latch but the trunk will not lift up.Does this mean anything to you?

Dj :

What part of the country are you in?

Customer:

Canada.

Dj :

Any chance the trunk lid is frozen shut?

Customer:

No it is not frozen. I can feel and see the trunk move up and down (probably latch problem).

Customer:

D

Customer:

Do you know if the gas cap and trunk lever is on the same cable?

Dj :

Different cables.

Dj :

When you turn the key, can you hear any kind of clunk noise, like the lock is working?

Dj :

The latch itself is pretty bulletproof. It's simple, with just a couple of moving parts and a spring.

Dj :

It's unusual that it would break.

Customer:

So i guess they are not like the newer model honda civics (same cable)? There is a fold- down rear back seat.Ma

Dj :

It's also odd that both the cable and the key lock would break at the same time.

Dj :

There is a release handle inside the trunk if you can get in there.

Customer:

I can enter the trunk from the back seat.Do you know the colour of the release handle?

Dj :

Cream colored if I remember correctly. At some point they made them glow in the dark, but I don't recall what year that was.

Dj :

If the release lever doesn't work, you can unbolt the latch once you get into the trunk.

Dj :

There are two bolts, and I believe they are 12 mm wrench size, but take a 10 mm with you just in case. I've only had one Corrolla where I had to take the latch off to open the trunk.

Dj :

And that was 20+ years ago.

Customer:

Good idea unbolting the latch. I didn't think about that.I think you have provided sufficient information to go on . I will now accept.