Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  20 years hands on,Experience cars and trucks, gas and diesel
41577536

1987 Toyota: rubber..block, passenger side..oil pan..Only happens

My 1987 Toyota, 22RE engine, pumps oil out of the engine block where a rubber covered wire (oil pressure sensor?) enters the block, passenger side, about an inch or two above the oil pan. Only happens on very cold starts, then doesn't lose anymore oil. Suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 5 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

.Hi, it is leaking through the oil pressure sending unit, when cold pressure is high due to thickness of the oil.

Pavlin Koev :

replacement of oil pressure switch is a must.

Customer:

Since it doesn't lose oil after a few minutes warming, can I get by not changing the switch for a couple thousand km? I live a long way way way from my mechanic. How difficult is it to change?

Pavlin Koev :

it is not dificult or expencive, switch like this is only 5-10 dollars, just unscrew and screw in the new one, any automotive supply shop can get you one, and yes you can drive with it, I have seen many leaking, but never seen one to burst open.

Customer:

Any suggestions on how I can improve the power from this engine. I've heard that little things like a different exhaust system and breather/air filter can help.

Pavlin Koev :

I am not expert in performance modifications,you can try K&N filters. if you really want to boost it though, you can look at instaling performance camshaft and larger intake valves.. Go to toyota performance site.???