Pavlin Koev
Experience:  17 years hands on,Experience cars and trucks, gas and diesel

2001 Highlander: Check engine light came and speedometer..Dealership

2001 Highlander. Check engine light came and speedometer stopped working on a regular basis. Dealership initially said it was the speed sensor. The installed a speed sensor, drove the car and informed me that this didn't fix the problem. Now they are saying it is the combo meter behind the dash instrument panel. The combo meter is $350 more expensive than the speed sensor. They did remove the new speed sensor but I'm concerned that they haven't diagnosted the problem correctly. Shouldn't they be able to pin point the problem by running the computer check?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 5 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

.Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your vehicle trouble.

Pavlin Koev :

Computer will only detect problem as of no signal or signal out of range, but is will not say whick is the failed component. number of test has to be performed to determine what is causing that signal to not be present or wrong.

Pavlin Koev :

it may be sensor/sensor wiring/ combe meter/ ABS sensors/ ABS unit or engine computer. if you give me that code # XXXXX will be able to get more specific information?

What is the standard dealer cost (parts and labor) to replace the speed sensor? What is the standard dealer cost (parts and labor) to replace the combo meter?

Pavlin Koev :

Standart replace labour is 0.7 hors speed sensor cost is around $120 but it may be a bit different from state to state.

Pavlin Koev :

combo meter replacement is 1/2 hour but price for new one I have is around 700