Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

Code p0340 camshaft position sensor malfunction, can myself

code p0340 camshaft position sensor malfunction, can I manage this repair myself or go directly to shop
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.

Taking a look at this on the schematic, it is a bit deep in the engine and some parts removal will be needed. Unless you have performed repairs like this in the past with engine disassembly, then it would be best to let a repair shop tackle this job.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have looked at the repair steps, I can remove the distributor cap, i can measure the ohms output , but what do I measure the gap between the magnet and the sst , and how do I adjust the gap if it measures wrong

Cool, it looks like you can do this done and have done some research. When you open the distributor, you are going to measure the gap between the distributor shaft "G" signal notch and the camshaft position sensor. The notch looks more like a spike on the shaft. Face it towards the sensor and use a feeler guage to measure the gap. The specs are 0.2 - 0.4MM (0.008 - 0.016in) If it is not in spec then replace the distributor as the gap/sensor is not adjustable and they are really looking for play in th assembly.