Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. 25 yrs experience

Toyota Corolla Parking lights wont turn off, even when I

Parking lights won't turn off, even when I pull the drl fuse and relay. I cannot find the drl relay behind the glove box.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with your Toyota problem.

Are rear parking lights on and dash lights on as well?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When you pull the key out, the lights on alarm sounds and the front parking lights stay on, I'm not sure about the taillights. I'm pretty sure the dash lights go off. I can check if you need, it will take me a few minutes. The high beam indicator blinks when the car is running, and when this all happened there was a burning smell. I've read that there is a drl control module behind the glove box that has a resistor that commonly burns out. Apparantly, you can remove this resistor, disalbling the drl, which is what I would prefer to do, rather than spending $250 for a new module. The problem is that I can not find this "module". All I see in the glove compartment is what looks to me like wiring for the heater blower.  I might be getting parking lights and drl confused, perhaps this has nothing to do with the drl control module.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. Yes, this is a common problem with the Corolla. The problem is usually in the DRL control module/relay. All lighting functions go through this module.

The module appears to be above and behind the glove box. Removing the glove box should give you access.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've seen this diagram too, but for the life of me I don't see the module. What is the best way to remove the glove box? Are there fasteners holding it in, or does it "pop" out by squeezing the sides?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Remove the 2 bolts and 3 screws from the lower dash to remove the glove box assembly. Once the bolts and screws are removed, pull straight back on the assembly to release the clip.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question before I accept... How do I test to make sure that it wasn't a bad ground that caused the failure? (I believe the ground is on the floor by the brake pedal, lots of water and salt corrosion around there from a brutal Chicago winter) I don't want to spend the money on a new part only to have it blow again! Thanks for the help. The subscription I got to TIS was worthless, I could have finished this a day ago if I'd found this resource first. I didn't think that you would have to remove the glove box to get to this part, but that was vital. Only one bloody knuckle!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
You can run a redundant ground to the module. Simply connect a jumper wire from a good grounding point (clean metal behind dash on bracket) to the white/black wire at the module. This will make sure the module is getting a good ground.
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified. 25 yrs experience