Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

2004 camry: replace the pedal assembly and throttle body..accelerate

i have replace the pedal assembly and throttle body on a 2004 camry 2.4, and it still would not accelerate, what is the problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Is the check engine light on?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Do you know the code number set in the computer?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
p2121
Before we get into any heavy-duty diagnostics the first thing I need you to do is check the 10 amp ETCS fuse. This fuse is located in the fuse box under the hood. It Is the main power supply to the drive motor for the drive by wire throttle system. If the throttle body gets carbon buildup or malfunctions it overloads this fuse and pops it. By default then it runs at partial throttle. Let me know if the fuse is blown. Replace the fuse if it is and see if the throttle operates correctly.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
on my way outside to check the fuse
Let me know how it goes.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
fuse is good
Do you have a voltmeter and an average knowledge of how to use it? Do you have 12 V at this fuse and you are 100% that you are looking at the correct fuse? You mentioned that you replaced the accelerator pedal assembly where did you purchase it from? Can you give me some history on the vehicle leading up to this current problem?

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i have a voltmeter. bought pedal assembly and throttle body from toyota. car quit on my sister at target.

If you clear the code and start the vehicle does the check engine light come on immediately or only after you depress the brake pedal?

Do you have a scan tool that will read active data or is it strictly a code reader?

Do you have 12 V to this ETCS fuse?

Are you 100% certain your checking the correct fuse?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i clear the code and read again the codes are still ther (p0121 p2121)yea i have 12 v to fuse. there is a 10amp fuse just above a 15 amp front of fuse compartment

I hate to beat a dead horse but check the picture below and confirm the correct fuse. When probing the top of the fuse on both sides with it installed you have 12 V on both sides?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i have 12 volts on both sides
Does your scan tool allow you to read active data list information?

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have a ACTRON CP9175 scanner.. it gives me MIL STATUS I/M MONITORS FREEZE DATA CODE LOOKUP
Is not likely that this scan tool has active data or it would be listed. I'm not familiar with this specific model. It would just be a lot easier to be able to monitor the throttle position sensor voltage when you depress the throttle pedal. There are two sensors built into the throttle pedal. The reason why this 2121 code is setting is because the difference or variation between these two sensors is out of the specification range. It is not likely that you've got a bad pedal from the dealer. Did you replace both the throttle body assembly and the throttle pedal at the same time? If you reinstall both of the old parts together do you get the exact same codes? The 0121 code indicates a problem in the sensors in the actual throttle body motor assembly itself.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
SAME CODES WITH OLD PARTS. THE THROTTLE BODY AND PEDAL CAME FROM TOYOTA. COULD THE THRITTLE BODY BE DEFFECTIVE?
Is not likely that the throttle body is defective. I have replaced these because they have been bad but never gotten a new one that was bad. It is very difficult in this type of format to diagnose these kinds of problems because of the types of tests and checks that you have to do. You will need to run voltage comparison checks on both of the position sensors in the throttle pedal assembly itself and at the throttle body. Both components have dual sensors one sensor tells the other sensor what to do in each component and the other sensor in each component verifies that the command was sent. These are double redundancy sensors for safety reasons. Most of the time when I see these types of failures it usually is related to power inputs coming from the fuse or wiring problems due to corrosion or in fits at the electrical connectors at either component. I can walk you through some resistance and voltage checks but you would need to have a diagram in order to follow along. I cannot post these on this website due to copyright issues. If you are interested you could always purchase a two-day subscription for $15 at www.techinfo.Toyota.com and download this information. I can give you some basic voltage checks without these diagrams but it is a little complicated. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I HAVE DIAGRAM, WHAT R THE VOLTAGE CHECKS

With the connector plugged into the accelerator pedal and the key in the on position check the voltage by back probing along the rubber seal next to the wire in the connector or piercing very carefully the red wire pin number six. What is this voltage? At the black wire with a red tracer pin number four what is this voltage?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHAT R THE CHANCES OF IT GOING INTO XXXXX?

None on these tests I am having you check listed above. These are the reference voltages to the sensors in the pedal and should not fluctuate at all.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
GONNA TAKE TO DEALERSHIP.
Let me know how it goes. If you need a second opinion after visiting the dealer feel free to post back here and I can verify what they're trying to tell you.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THEY SAY THAT THE COMPUTER HAS TO BE RESET. COULD IT BE RESET WITHOUT TAKING TO THEM?
You could try to erase the codes by removing the negative battery cable but this is not technically a reset. There is no such thing short of re burning or recoding the engine control computer with new software or updates. If you've already removed the negative battery cable or clear the codes with your code reader and plug everything back together and start the vehicle and these codes keep coming back this means there is a hard failed code or malfunction. There are no service bulletins addressing either one of these codes for any computer updates. I do not see very many computer failures either.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CAR STILL NOT ACCELERATING. SO DEALERSHIP IS MY LAST OPTION

If the check engine light continues to come on with the same malfunction codes it will not accelerate. There is some type of problem in this drive by wire system. Let me know what dealer says and I can give you further input on whether not there being straight with you.

Skyvisions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
K
Good luck and have a great weekend.

Skyvisions