ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified

Toyota Camry LE need help to disable alarm on a 99 camry.

Customer Question

need help to disable alarm on a 99 camry. we do not know if it is factory. our alarm devise was ate by our pug 2 yr ago and we have not been able to use the alarm. all was fine till we unhooked battery cables to clean teminals. now the alarm, and lights keep going off if the battery is hooked up. the engine will not start. any ideas. the alarm may not be factory. our devise was rectangle in shape.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.
IS there a Red light/button on the dash?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, put the key in and turn it 2 clicks clockwise( do not start the car), press the red button in and out as fast as you can for about 10 times until you hear two beeps. Now turn the key off then try and start the car.
Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it didn't work
I will have to open this for other Experts then.

Thank you, Genchi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for trying
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could you tell me where the alarm is located. i was told that if i located it, i could get the name and numbers off it. i could then contact them and get another remote.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 years ago.

Please allow me to assist my fellow colleague Genchi.

Look under the driver side front seat for a black box with several wires going to it.

If it is not there, pull down the lower driver side panel that is below the dash (the one above the driver's knees)...look on the left of the dash for a black box with wires going to it, and then get back to us.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
got the alarm box and searched for the model/part numbers online. could not find anything. the shock sensor is made by audiovox but the alarm itself has no other information n except the part/model and the rev of 00. is there a way to disable it or find out who makes it so we can order a new remote?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the alarm system is a pro-9744 by audiovox

I'm sorry; that is not a system that I am familiar with. I will opt out and another expert who is more familiar will assist you.

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

First, try this. Turn the key all the way to the ON or RUN position, and within 3 seconds tap that button once. This should disarm the alarm, quiet the siren and allow you to start.

If this fails to work, you'll need to bypass the starter kill portion and remove power from the system.

I'll try to be as descriptive as I can, without getting too technical on you. You will need to remove the panel that is located underneath the steering wheel. There will be a bolt (10mm) to the left bottom corner, and either a bolt or a screw on the bottom right hand corner. Now remove the pocket on the left side, and I believe there is a screw up in the top of it. (this screw may or may not be there, i'm going from memory here).

Now the panel is only held in with clips, so you can grab it and give it a sharp tug and it should come out. This will expose a large wire harness going up towards the steering wheel. Somewhere in this area you will see where a lot of wires are connected to this harness (As well as others) that just don't look like they belong. You want to disconnect all wires going to the ignition key switch (where you put the key in to start the car). There are a lot of big wires behind this switch that will be connected to, and these are the ones we are concerned with. There should be 2 wires either spliced in to, or with a scotch lock style connector. Disconnect both of these. One wire will be cut, with each side of that wire connected to wires that don't belong, leading to a small box (relay). This is what disconnects the starter. You will want to reconnect these wires back together and use a butt connector or solder this wire back together.

Now the vehicle should be able to start. At this point I would recommend taking it up to a professional to complete the removal entirely, and ensure that your starter wire is securely connected to prevent future problems.