Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

P Lock malfunction when parking...cannot more stick from P it is stuck

P Lock malfunction when parking...cannot more stick from P it is stuck there. So I cannot drive the car
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Can you explain to me in a little more detail what exactly is going on? When you have your foot on the brake and push the start button are you getting a READY indication on the instrument panel? What color is the little light in the start button and is flashing at all? If you turn the headlights on are they fully illuminated and all the rest the interior lights fully bright?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can start the engine no problem and I have all the lights in the car all working fine. On the dashboard where the P, D, B, R pannel is, it is flashing and stuck on P. A warning on the dashboard says "P Lock Malfunction when parking, park car on a flat place" The car is parked on a very flat surface.

I can see the fuel gage, the GPS comes on, the lights etc just stuck on P??

This is what I suspected. What is happening is the 12 V battery is either or very low or going bad. When you power down the vehicle there is not sufficient power to drive the Park mechanism motor. The computer doesn't see this action and thinks the transmission is not in Park. It by default shuts the system down. You have a couple of options. The first one is to remove the negative battery cable to clear the codes. This advice that was given to you was fairly accurate. It does not reset the system it just merely clears the code in the computer and it starts out fresh. If you have a small trickle charger I would recommend putting this on the battery to see if you can bring the battery back to life. This battery probably is still covered under some type of warranty depending on your mileage. Once the code is cleared you could probably have a jump start if you don't have a trickle charger to at least get the engine running so that the code was cleared and the battery will charge itself as the car is left on. As long as the P malfunction screen or parking malfunction is detected in the computer you will have a difficult time getting it out of Park. Let me know if this resolves your problem or if you have any other questions regarding this matter.

This is a fairly common problem and malfunction on the warning screen and 90% of the time is related to a low state of charge on the 12 V battery. It is not likely that you have anything serious going on here.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yup, I also believe you are right. Now if I disconnect the positive cable from the battery, would that work too? You said to disconnect the negative cable
Thanks
Charles
Yes, either cable will work it's just that the negative battery cable usually is easier to get off. There are less covers and stuff in the way. All you need is a 10 mm wrench. If you have the ability to read codes or have a scan tool. The data list that is displayed with the malfunction code will show the battery voltage. Normally what I see is the 12 V battery dips between 9 and 10 volts when the code sets. Anything above 12 V usually indicates other problems.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic