Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

new spark plugs..Ignition Coil..fuel regulator radiator..flushed

Customer Question

Brand new Battery
Brand new spark plugs
Newer Ignition Coil
Newly installed fuel regulator
Radiator's been newly flushed what's the prob?

My 89 3VZE Auto will not turn over...just crank, crank, crank, a few rumbles, then just more cranking.

It just won't get to the point where it will turn over and stay on. I had to replace the battery, because the cranking was causing the battery to die and then nothing would happen.

With new battery that doesn't happen, but I don't know where to go next. I've had two mechanics say the start is not the issue, so.......

Really annoying...

On a related note:

Truck is SLOOOOOOOOOW to accelerate, especially climbing hills. I mean like crazy slow when in 2wd. In 4WD, especially 4Lo, it's a monster and will climb anything.

The other day I stalled out at a stop light and had to start her again. That's never happened before, so not sure if that's related.

I had mechanic run a compression test, and he said it's (110 on each cylinder).
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 years ago.

Hello, let me see if i have this right, right now it just cranks but will try to fire up but won't, before this happened it had a loss of power and stalled. Could be a couple of problems:

It's losing fuel pressure

It's losing spark to the plugs

the timing belt jumped on the gears

the catalityc converter is plugging up

Check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge at the fuel rail, normal = 35-45 psi

Check for steady spark to one of the spark plugs using a spark plug connected into one of the connectors and the spark plug body grounded

Remove the upper part of the timing cover and check the cam gear timing marks with the engine at zero TDC

Remove the catalityc converter and see if the engine starts and runs normal.