Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

94 4runner: intermittently..running fine..the O2 sensor..EGR valve

Customer Question

My 94 4runner's engine light is going on and off intermittently. The engine is running fine. Could it just be that the O2 sensor needs to be cleaned - or perhaps the EGR valve?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Do you know the code number or numbers in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No - The only thing I see is on my dash is a check engine light. There's no way to check codes. I live in Costa Rica and no one has a computer that can do that.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Just jumper the two terminals on the diagnostic connector and turn the key on and watch the check engine light flash the codes.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You mean just connect those two terminals with one wire? The problem is that until I've driven for a few minutes the light generally does not come on. So when I initially start the car the light is off
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
THat is ok... there still should be a code or codes in the computer.

Turn the key on first and then jumper terminals together with one wire and watch the check engine light and take note of the long and short flashes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks I'll do that and then go from there
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You bet!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE