KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORECTLY.
5629372

1995 toyota: 4x4..coolant..driveway..the passenger-side head area

I own a 1995 toyota 4 runner 4x4 3.0 V6, 5 speed (148,000 miles). I had some coolant dripping onto to my driveway, coming from the passenger-side head area. I took it to FREEMAN TOYOTA, thinking my head gasket blew. after a pressure test, they told me it was my freeze plug. estimated cost $2600 to pull engine to get freeze plug. I'm stumped. Other then the small amounts of fluid annoyingly leaking. IS there any risk of the plug completely blowing out? Is there a repetable sealant solution that can help me out?? I drive my runner a lot, road trips to tahoe..etc! 2600 is hard to swallow for this repair.... The runner has been kept in immaculant condition. Any easy way out this one?

KALAMYKID :

Is the freeze plug leaking on the side of the block or the back of the block?

Customer:

Side of the block.... near the passenger-side head

KALAMYKID :

DO you have a regular mechainc you take your cars to other then the dealer?

Customer:

not really...

Customer:

you saying i should look into a different mechanic other than the dealer?

KALAMYKID :

If it is just a freeze plug leaking on the side of the engine you should be able to replace it by removing the exhaust manifold. this job would only cost you around $400.00 to replace all the plugs on the one side.

KALAMYKID :

YES. the engine should not have to come out to replace a freeze plug unless it was on the back of the engine where the trasn volts to the engine

KALAMYKID :

Sorry for the typo that should be bolts not volts.

Customer:

i understand. hear is what toyota told me. That it is a freeze plug leaking (near or under) passenger-side head. does that location sound sound like the back of the engine (im not sure)? no worries on the typo!

KALAMYKID :

No that would be the side of the block

Customer:

ok... so thats great to know

Customer:

So I should check with my local mechanic... dont know why toyota was sterring me in that route

Customer:

sterring-steering

KALAMYKID :

LOL your fingers do it to I see.

Customer:

another question.... is my runner reliable enough to drive until I see a mechanic

KALAMYKID :

That all depeds on how fast the coolant is leaking.

KALAMYKID :

I am not sure why the dealer would want to pull the engine to replace the freeze plug unless they where gopng to replace all of them at one time.

Customer:

its weird some days a puddle about the size of a small plate is on the driveway, some days seems to not leak at all.

KALAMYKID :

a leaking freeze plug will only get worse, and there is no sealer that can be used that would not stop up the heater core and radiator.,

Customer:

i understand...not really interested in the cheap sealant fix

Customer:

havent had to add coolant yet

KALAMYKID :

I would have your mechanic replace all the freze plugs on that one side at the same time. If one is leaking there will be others leaking soon.

Customer:

sounds good and thanks.... $400 is do-able... will check it out

KALAMYKID :

You are very welcome

Customer:

have a good weekend.... : )

KALAMYKID :

You too.