Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

How do i remove the ignition switch on a 1994 camry

how do i remove the ignition switch on a 1994 camry
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 3 years ago.
Are you wanting to remove just the ignition switch?

Genchi
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the switch is bad. but i cannot get to the two screws holding the smaller of the two connectors on

Do you have a new swicth already?

One that looks like this....

Corona-LH04-01025-.jpg" alt="" width="556" height="552"/>

Edited by Genchi Genbutsu on 1/12/2011 at 11:07 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have one ordered will be in in an hour

Ok. These are very easy to change. Please listen, this following video will give you an idea as to what you are trying to do. It is not of a Toyota vehicle but it is changed the same way. Please watch and reply back to me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cown4CO2FJ0&feature=fvw

You can skip to 1:20 and start watching there.

Genchi

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to remove the switch not the cylinder. And on our camry the switch is in the dash not the steering column. There are two screws holding in the smaller of the two wiring harnesses and i can not access them. Help please.

I am having trouble visualizing what you are trying to do so I will opt out and open this up for other Experts to help.

Genchi

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 years ago.
Can you upload a photo of what you are trying to remove? I'll see if I can help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The part I am replacing looks like this. OES Genuine Ignition Switch

OES Genuine Ignition Switch

I can not open these files, they have to be in jpeg format like the picture in the info request above, can you change the pictures to the jpeg format or retake the photos again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the picture is from internet try this link.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Toyota/Camry/OES_Genuine/Ignition_Switch/1994/LE/6_Cyl_3-dot-0L/W0133-1738134.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

Ok I just went to the website link and saw the part you are replacing, this is the elctrical portion of the switch, it should have one phillips screw at the end, some have to, you may have to drop down the steering column a little to get the screws out, do thids by removing the four 14mm nuts that hold the column on and let the column drop down a little those "funny looking bolts" that you mentioned earlier do not need to be removed unless you are replacing the entire lock assembly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
moving the steering column down does not give me access to the screws holding on the smaller of the two connectors. they are on top of the switch in the dash. the picture i sent shows the smaller connector and it is held on the switch by two screws on top of the switch. There is now way I can acess them without removing the bracket holdint the switch in position. At least not that I can see. Thus my question how do I remove the two screws holding the electical connector on without removing the brackett?
The ignition switch on this model is on the steering column with the electrical part attaced to the back of the switch, please explain what this switch in the dash is and if possible attach a photo of it. If you need to remove the entire switch assembly then those bolts with round heads have to be drilled out and replaced with the special bolts when reinstalling.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello anyone there???
I'm going to look at some pictures in the repair manual and get back to you.
graphic
I have attached this picture maybe it will clear things up, it looks like the small connector is the key interlock switch, if there are screws on top holding this connector on then you would need to lower the steering column enoiugh to get them out otr you can cut and splice the wires in.
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified