ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

Toyota 2011 2011 Tacoma, ticking sound when at idle and accelerating.

2011 Tacoma, ticking sound when at idle and accelerating. then stops when at higher speed. My co-workers say its a hydraulic valve. Its driving me crazy and I am taking to the dealer Saturday. 1200miles. Note: its a "tick tick" sound

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

This may not be what you want to hear, but this is completely normal for the truck. Most of the newer motors use HLA's (hydraulic lash adjusters, or lifters) which tend to be louder than the older style buckets where you periodically have to re-shim them and adjust the valve lash manually. Your truck also has VVT-i which those actuators also make a bit of noise, particularly at idle.

If you compare it side by side to a half dozen other identical tacomas, you'll find some quieter, and some louder. They all do it, some worse than others. It's just the design of the engine. There are some bulletins out for some of the other motors that worry people, talking about the ticking noise or a rattle noise, particularly on a cold start. They all do it, but even then the ones that the bulletins refer to is VERY noticeable, like wake the dead kind of rattle. IT sounds like the engine is coming apart (Even though it's not).

Really the best thing you can do is visit your dealer and have one of the more experienced techs listen to it. There is a very, very small chance of a collapsed HLA, though I really haven't seen many of these. 99.9% of the time it is completely normal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One thing a friend asked me today that made sense. If you have access to toyota company you might want to share. My friend said: Why does Toyota think this is acceptable? An Audi 30K plus buyer wouldn't. Thanks again for your help.
There are a lot of differences in the way a Toyota engine is designed versus an Audi, Ford, or Chevrolet. The noises you hear are just a characteristic of the engine, and a lot is from the vvti actuator at the front of the camshafts (which audi's or other makes do not have). Some is from the rest of the valvetrain. Most of the older model Toyota's (mid 2000's and before) have absolutely no valvetrain noise if everything is correct. Believe me, you're not the first to complain about it. However, if you look at it as an overall picture, way less than 1% complain about the noise. I would guesstimate that 99.5% either don't notice it, don't know enough about cars to think anything of it, or just don't care. However, as far as why they consider it acceptable, I can't answer. There are probably very few that could, and about the only way you'd get an answer from that is calling the Toyota customer care hotline.